bathroom ideas

Old 06-12-15, 12:56 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bathroom ideas

My home is 20 years old. I have a half bath (guest room) which is small with a sink and toilet.
I need to replace the toilet. I pulled it out. Then, a few pieces of vinyl tile got detached and broken. I can't find matching ones. So I'm looking to redo the flooring with either tile or vinyl. As long as I have go through the hassle, I thought I'd remodel it a bit.

The wall paper is becoming old. I'm thinking of not having wall paper and just paint.

I'd appreciate if anyone can share some ideas on the wall? Is wall paper still popular? If I just use paint, will it be harder to sell later?
Personally I don't like wall paper. If there is a tear, it's hard to repair. For paint, I just repaint over it.

any other ideas are welcome as well.

Old 06-12-15, 01:24 PM
C
Received 86 Upvotes on 68 Posts
I prefer paint for a small bath. It's easier to update and easier to clean. Nicely done, I don't think it affects salability at all. When I did my half bath, I painted it a nice bright color and dressed it up with glass mosaic tile on the wall behind the vanity, and hung an oval mirror above the sink.

Be aware that removing wallpaper can be a pain, and you may have some patching to do afterwards since you need a nice flat smooth surface if you want the paint to look good. You have to make certain you get all the wallpaper adhesive off and I recommend a high quality sandable primer before painting.

You may want to look at Houzz.com and search for half bath or powder room. They have a zillion photos to look at for ideas. I think you have to register to gain full use of the site.

Old 06-12-15, 02:43 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
I hate wallpaper.

Tear it out and paint.

Old 06-12-15, 02:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Upvotes on 631 Posts
I also don't care for wallpaper - maybe I've had to strip too much of it

Any wallpaper paste that doesn't get completely washed off needs to be coated with either an oil base primer or Zinnser's Gardz, the same is true if there are any rips or missing paper on the drywall.

Old 06-12-15, 08:46 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your ideas. I will remove wall paper and use paint

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: