Corian adhesive question...

Old 06-22-15, 09:41 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Corian adhesive question...

I received a quote at Lowes the other day to order a small Corian counter top for a set of kitchen cabinets (24"wide x 59" long), with one hole cut for a sink. The quote was nearly $1200!! After almost swallowing my tongue.....I wondered if I could do this myself, after all I may be willing to live with a top-mounted sink, which I think would make this job even more straight forward. I found a small remnant of Corian online that matches my project size fairly closely. The piece is $267. Much better price, but the sheet it is only 1/2" thick.

Long story short...(shorter), I need to find the matching epoxy so I can trim a couple of strips from one edge of the sheet and do a "glue up" for the exposed counter top edge (to make the counter top appear 1.5" thick). Problem is, I can't seem to find the color I need. I am told the color of the epoxy should match the color of the Corian (which in this case is "Raffia"), least one would see the seams where the strips are epoxied together.

Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is there a good place to find the Corian epoxys?...or is there a good work-around for this scenario? Any info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Old 06-22-15, 09:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Personally, I find the durability of Corian to be lacking. Are you open to any other materials?

Old 06-22-15, 10:23 AM
S
Sorry stickshift, I've already placed the order for the Corian. This is actually for my "brew house" (home brewing). I find the Corian to be quite forgiving when setting a hot kettle on the surface and then just walking away to do other things. I've used sections of Corian as sort of trivets or hot pads for this purpose through the years and it works quite well for this (never seen any staining or discoloration from the heat). I do notice scratches, etc that if occured in/on an entire counter top, would need to be addressed for sure!

Old 06-22-15, 10:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
OK, no prob but you're out of my area now so have to hang tight for others to respond.

Old 06-23-15, 06:44 AM
There are quite a few Corian Suppliers around here, none of them sell to the public. You must be a certified supplier or installer.
Couple of ideas:
- Find an installer that works on the side
- Look for a Formica Solid Surface supplier in your area. Formica vendors are more flexible than Corian as far as selling the material to the public. You might find a very close color match using Formica epoxy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: