Bathroom remodel: Window tile question.

Old 07-08-15, 06:16 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bathroom remodel: Window tile question.

Need some advice. Remodeling bathroom. Ripped out shower surround and drywall, hung cement board. Issue is what to do with remaining area around the window. The window sits in at a depth of about 1.5-2 inches. There is wood along the 2 sides and top of the window inset. Thinking I'll need to put up a strip of cement board on the 2 sides and top. (the 2nd photo is on its side, that the top left corner). Is this correct? Is there a way to hang this thin strip of cement board so that when I screw it in it doesn't crack like I'm assuming it will. Predrill holes in the thin strips before screwing them on? Bigger concern is with the bottom of the window. You can see from the picture there is a busted up marble window sill. I have marble window sills in all of the bedrooms which sticks out from the wall 2 inches or so. It looks great in the other rooms, but when whoever remodeled the bathroom previously, they smashed it all up so that it did not protrude and is flush with the rest of the wall. They then hung the shower surround. Now I'm faced with the issue of what to do with it. Can I just tile over it? Thin set right on top of it? Do I need to rough it up somehow so that the thin set sticks? Also, how do I ensure that there is a watertight seal along the window so no leaking occurs. All/any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Images   
Old 07-08-15, 06:48 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
A window in a shower is always to be an issue.
Best thing to do is get rid of it.
Guessing your not going to do that so add PVC jamb extentions, and vinyl window casing with caulking at the joints.
Last thing you want is a ledge for water to sit.

Old 07-09-15, 02:39 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thin strips, pre-drill and install with galvanized roofing nails for the window surround.

Remove the marble that is busted up and replace with cement board.

1/4" cement board is not recommended for walls, 1/2" is preferred. 1/4" walls will flex too much and may cause issues down the road.

Other points/questions - Did you install insulation on the outside wall? Did you install a vapor barrier behind the cement board? For a tight waterproof seal, I would go over the seams and seal near the window with a sealant like Nobleseal 150 http://noblecompany.com/products/noblesealant-150/ This will ensure that no water can get inside the wall cavity. It is specifically designed for the application of waterproofing.

Old 07-28-15, 10:21 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I installed the thin strips of cement board around the window except for the bottom ledge where the marble is. I can't really remove the marble underneath because the window is sitting on it. Can I just rough it up and tile over it?

Do I use the alkali resistant tape on those edges where the cement board from the shower wall meets the cement board of the window inset?

I did use insulation on the outside wall and a 4 mil plastic vapor barrier up about 4 ft or so. I was told not to run the plastic vapor barrier all the way to the top or that would enclose the insulation and cause moisture issues. Only running the plastic 4 ft up or so allows any moisture to escape. Hope that's true.

Name:  IMG_3129.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  21.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3130.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  23.8 KB

Old 07-29-15, 07:31 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Build up the area of missing marble with thinset and scuff the balance and tile over it. Use the aforementioned seal to treat the area in question to make a watertight seal. Don't mistake silicone for the nobleseal - two totally different animals.

As for the vapor/moisture barrier, kind of late now to be asking. I usually run 15# roofers felt shingled up the wall. It has breaks every 3 feet and an overlap that allow things to breath AND would have provided waterproofing protection for the whole wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: