Self-Adhesive Backsplash Tile

Old 07-31-15, 06:59 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Self-Adhesive Backsplash Tile

Hi,

I went to Home Depot recently and saw this

Aspect 3 in. x 6 in. Glass Decorative Wall Tile in Storm Cloud (8-Pack)-A50-66 - The Home Depot

It looks really nice. No grout needed. So there is very little space b/w tiles.

The only concern I have is how strong is the adhesive.

Does anyone know how much heat can it take? I have an Instant Pot which blow some steam. Would it tolerate it?

Thanks

Last edited by redhonker; 07-31-15 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-31-15, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,330 Upvotes on 2,989 Posts
I'm not a pro in tile work but I have to tell you that product looks very questionable to me. I'm guessing it gets used only in an area where there is no direct contact with water.

3 in. x 6 in. glass tile with an easy to use peel and stick backing making installation quick and easy.
The adhesive on the back side of the Aspect tiles is highly aggressive and pressure sensitive
I see no mention in the installation instructions of using heat. Peel and stick. If tile doesn't adhere properly use an additional proper adhesive.

home depot/installation.pdf

Old 07-31-15, 07:35 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No mention what surfaces it sticks to either or how smooth the surface has to be.

Old 07-31-15, 08:10 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are right. No heat in the installation instruction.

From web search, it appears people use heat (hair dryer) to warm the tile and remove it from the wall. So the concern is whether heat cause it to come off the wall.

It's listed in the kitchen backsplash area. So I assume water is not a problem. Maybe I need to check?

Old 07-31-15, 09:28 PM
So I assume water is not a problem. Maybe I need to check?
Since it isn't mortared what would prevent water from going between the tiles?

Old 08-01-15, 06:18 AM
This from the discussion section below the HD link OP provided.

"Hello! Thank you for your question! Aspect has a heat index of 200 degrees (F) without causing any damage to the adhesive"

If water boil at 212 degrees, I would say that this is not a great candidate for a backsplash behind a oven or range.

Personally, it is just glass with a peel and stick glue on the back. Why not just get glass of similar dimensions (without glue attached), a handy install kit (includes mixing bucket, sponge and trowel), and install yourself with thinset. You can still butt them tight together if you wish. However, keep in mind that not all countertops are perfectly flat and level, the presence of a grout line allows for some play and adjusting as you go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: