Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Feedback sought on quality of granite countertop job.

Old 08-09-15, 09:40 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I recently had a major home improvement store install granite counter tops in 3 restrooms in my home. They obviously sub contract through a local granite shop. I've attached pictures of the installation and marked out what I found to be areas of shoddy workmanship.

Areas of concern:
1. White glue showing as white lines
2. Edges of granite not aligned evenly
3. Gaps between back of granite and walls

I had sent these pictures and concerns to the local granite shop. They turned around and said that all of this was their standard practice and within "tolerance levels of natural stone installation".

What do the fine folks on this forum think? Good job, or not?

Thanks.Name:  IMG_3580.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  42.8 KBName:  IMG_3581.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  43.2 KBName:  IMG_3582.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  30.3 KBName:  IMG_3583.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  26.7 KBName:  IMG_3586.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  27.9 KBName:  IMG_3587.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  26.3 KBName:  IMG_3588.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  27.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-15, 10:55 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! While the edges could possibly have been set more flush, it is within a certain tolerance. The "glue" is actually a sealant that is clear, but is taking on the color of the granite underneath it. Any "colored" sealant would have stood out considerably more. Are you planning on a backsplash above the granite? What is "netting"? Picture 5, sure the sealant could have been smoothed out somewhat, but can be removed and redone rather easily.

I am not jumping on the installer's bandwagon, but they are working with stone, not steel or wood, and have just so much tolerance to work with. Can you step back and take wider angle pictures of the job? That is where you will be looking at them from anyway. Micro pictures will show any slight flaw that would not be seen in a normal stance.

Old 08-09-15, 11:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
I'll also add that the uneven gap between the granite and wall is most likely your wall not being straight. A bead of caulk will do a lot to conceal the gap.

Old 08-09-15, 03:48 PM
Welcome.
I'm a fellow buckeye although I've been in CA many years.

The backsplash to wall:
This is normal to have gaps due to imperfect walls. Installers should have filled with paintable caulk and the unevenness will not be noticed once caulk is painted to wall color.

The splash not meeting edges of tops:
You have "eased" edge profile on the tops. If the splash was even with the edges of the tops, it would look worse due to gaps. This is OK the way it is. Think of it as a small radius and aligning edges won't work.

The caulk between splash, vanity top and corners:
Unacceptable, period.
Demand this be redone. Any good granite installer should have color matching abilities for silicone. At the very least they should use translucent white silicone which is almost invisible to the eye and will pick up colors around it.

Old 08-09-15, 05:19 PM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
I agree with everyone. The unevenness is totally unacceptable. No tolerance allowed. Every other concern you have is all normal and should be acceptable.

Old 08-09-15, 07:06 PM
A
Thanks Norm201.

Are you referring to the white silicone as being unacceptable or to the edges of the splashes not coming up to the edge of the countertop as unacceptable?

Old 08-09-15, 07:10 PM
A
Thanks Handyone. I'm new to Columbus, and have still to become an unofficial "buckeye", but it is pretty clear that there is no other kind here.

The installer claims he used translucent white. I pointed out the whiteness as soon as he got done and he said it will become "clear" as it dries up. It has been 10 days so I'm guessing it is not going to clear any. Does this look like translucent white to you?

Old 08-09-15, 07:16 PM
A
Thanks Pilot Dane! I think this advice has been unanimous from everyone. The only remaining concern here is the lack of expectation setting.

Old 08-09-15, 07:20 PM
A
Thanks Chandler. Over the last few days I've visited the houses of a few friends to see if their granite has this white-ish line showing and none did. In your experience, you have seen granite jobs with this line showing?

Old 08-09-15, 07:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
We use clear sealant, or a translucent clear so it will hide the joint but not appear white and pick up the colors of the stone. Have them come back and do it over.

Old 08-09-15, 07:36 PM
I am a sub for a large nationwide company, and it's not a home improvement store.

The only reason I say that is because if a customer complained about this job, it would be replaced or repaired. 100% satisfaction is what it's all about. That said, it looks like a decent job except for the caulk and the difference in height of the splashes. I do not believe that is tranny white silicone caulk, it's probably clear adhesive caulk such as DAP. That's not silicone and not the same results.

Old 08-10-15, 05:34 AM
Again all responses are correct. I meant the unevenness as being unacceptable. But the white is questionable but to me not a problem. That can easily be repaired by yourself.

Old 08-10-15, 07:37 AM
A
The installer now claims that they don't use clear silicone sealant because "it leaves a black line when it dries". True?

Old 08-10-15, 08:23 AM
If there are gaps between the vanity top and splash, the clear will not hide the gaps. This is why translucent or color matched is used.

The wall is easy. Just paintable caulk such as painter's caulk.

I would ask them why they don't tint the caulk as standard practice, or use a different brand of translucent that is not so white.

If they refuse to fix this:
Look for a big tile store in your area. Tile stores generally sell colored non-sanded caulk in many available colors and you could probably get a near perfect match.

Old 08-13-15, 05:18 PM
H
I would also contact the home improvement store that hired the contractor and let them know that you are not satisfied. I am also wondering which store did the job as I am thinking of buying some granite from a big box store myself. If you don't want to name the store big orange or big blue will tell me.

Old 08-13-15, 05:27 PM
Having purchased granite in the past I would not buy from any large chain store. Look for a local counter top company. Most communities should have 2 or 3. You get to browse the selection that on on the premisses. Or you can wait until they get more in. If you have a small bath vanity top, very often you will get a discount by using up a larger slab that was used for a kitchen.