Appliance garages keep or get rid of?

Old 08-13-15, 06:31 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Appliance garages keep or get rid of?

As you may have read in a previous thread I have a rental home I will soon sell hopefully to family. In the kitchen there was an appliance garage and whether it is there or not right now I am not sure as it may have been removed by the tenant.

If it is still there it does take up a bit of counter space in the corner next to the stove. I am of the opinion that it really doesn't matter if it stays or is removed but would like your opinions of whether you think it is still a useful item for a kitchen or just an annoyance as I never lived there after the kitchen was remodeled.

Whether it is removed or not or has already been removed I plan on using subway tile as part of the back splash and probably in white as that is a nice neutral color.

Old 08-13-15, 06:45 PM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
I would assume in most cases the woman of the house would rather have the free counter space.

Old 08-13-15, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
For an appliance garage to be useful you need a deep countertop or too much valuable room is wasted.

My vote...... the garage is outta here.

Old 08-13-15, 09:07 PM
H
Thanks guys for your advice so far my opinion is that it makes it more dated and the cabinets are old as it is although not too old. They are the merrilat cabinets with the built in handle at the bottom and installed around 1992. We can't make too many upgrades as we have taken a loss as it is but want to make sure we get enough back in a sale. Thanks again for your advice I will wait for more opinions but I think I have made my mind up as to what to do next.

Old 08-14-15, 08:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
When I built my kitchen was going to put one in until I saw how much room we would lose. wife said no to it.

Old 08-14-15, 10:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
Agreed - lots of counter space, maybe. Not an over-abundance of counter space, skip the garage.

Old 08-14-15, 02:09 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Well, I'm going to take the opposite position.

I have a corner that is really too deep for considering it as useful space and I wish I DID have an appliance garage. I usually leave my George Foreman grill on the counter as well as my GF waffle maker. Having a garage would keep them both handy and yet still out of sight, IF it was a two-level garage. Note, this only works IF there is a corner cabinet above the counter where the garage would be installed.

IF the garage is straight back from the outer edge of the counter (not in a corner) then I would agree that it takes up valuable space.

Old 08-20-15, 08:08 PM
H
Our appliance garage is in the corner but the cabinets are not all that deep and there is a stove/oven combination nearby so I personally think removing it might be better. Sorry Joel but it looks like you have been out voted but you and I don't get the final vote my mom is a partner in this rental and she gets the last vote. If it looks bad though I am going to take it out anyway. Thank you everyone for your opinions!

Old 08-21-15, 10:03 AM
G
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Too many appliances & not enough space. What is needed these days is an appliance PANTRY. Many older houses had a narrow "broom closet" at one end of the kitchen. Loaded with full-extension shelves it would make ideal appliance storage.

I'm tired of walking to the basement for the fryer, George Foreman, waffle iron, stand mixer, larger coffee maker (for company), bread maker, yadda yadda.

Old 08-21-15, 03:18 PM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
But remember back in yesteryear we didn't have have the junk we have now. Perhaps a waffle iron, mixer and a toaster.

Old 08-21-15, 04:48 PM
F
What is needed these days is an appliance PANTRY.
Too true!

When I bought my present house it had a pantry and some previous owner had knocked a hole in a thick wall (prefab fire place on the opposite side with flanking built-in bookcases) and built a crude box out of an apple crate or similar wood and set a large counter-top microwave oven in the box. The people I bought the house from left that microwave oven and I used it for several years until it died. It was at that time that I saw how crudely built the box was and that they had simply tapped the dining area lighting circuit to power the oven.

Well, I built a nice box and ran a real "small appliance branch circuit" thinking I would continue to use that area for my microwave oven. However, I ended up with my MWO on the counter in the kitchen where it is much handier. I put a small, three-drawer Sterilite unit in the pantry and also a shelf just a couple of inches down from the top, the shelf holds my large electric griddle.

Maybe I'll make some more shelves for that pantry box and store the waffle maker and GF grille there as well.

Old 08-21-15, 05:04 PM
F
But remember back in yesteryear we didn't have have the junk we have now. Perhaps a waffle iron, mixer and a toaster.
I grew up in a family of five. My mother had a Sunbeam stand mixer on the counter and a Sunbeam electric frying pan that she kept in one of the base cabinets. We had a four slice Proctor-Silex toaster that was kept on a narrow, but table width, table at the end of the kitchen table. We also had a four-square waffle maker that was rarely used and mostly lived in a base cabinet. Oh, a stainless steel percolator that sat on the counter as well.

I live alone and I have a microwave oven on the counter to the left of the range, a table-top convection oven/toaster to the right of the range. The three counter-top appliances I previously mentioned that I use between the convection oven and the sink. I have an electric can opener that is supposed to mount under the upper cabinets but I haven't even taken it out of the plastic bag I used to move it from my previous house. (I use a hand-held crank style opener.) I might still have the under-cabinet coffee maker, I don't know as I do not drink coffee and I only used it in the previous house to heat water for tea or cocoa, maybe once or twice actually making coffee for some guest. Since almost all of my infrequent guests are also not coffee drinkers it isn't an issue. I do have an instant hot water dispenser that serves for tea, cocoa and instant coffee.

As you might guess, I don't have a lot of counter space and neither do I have a lot of usable storage near where I use these appliances. I'd love to remodel my kitchen but I can't envision any other arrangement that would improve the storage or efficiency of the space. Plus, I can't afford a massive remodel. I would like to replace the cheap particle board cabinets someday and IF I ever do so I will use drawers in the base cabinets rather than having to get down on the floor to search the dark recesses of deep cabinets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: