Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Full gut remodel of two bathrooms. 1st or 2nd floor first?

Old 08-21-15, 12:15 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are planning to start a full gut remodel of two bathrooms in our home. The bathrooms are about 5'x10' and the second floor bath sits directly on top of the first floor bathroom. These are our only bathrooms and I am not sure which one to start remodeling first. Trying to figure out if plumbing and electrical work is better to start on the top or bottom baths. I spoke with a plumber and he wanted to start on the second floor while a contractor wanted to start on first floor. Lastly, there is also full access underneath the first floor bath from the basement.

Thank you.

MaCus

Old 08-21-15, 12:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
I would start with the second floor. Since water flows downhill, an issue in the lower one should not affect the already finished upper one. My bathrooms are the same and an issue in the upper caused me a lot of work in the lower....

Old 08-21-15, 12:26 PM
C
Received 89 Upvotes on 71 Posts
IIWM, I'd do the second story first. You may very well end up wanting to open up the ceiling of the 1st floor bath to deal with plumbing to the second floor (or at least it may make things much easier). If you do the up bath first you won't hesitate to cut holes in the ceiling of the 1st floor or remove it if needed for access, knowing that you will fix it when you do the second bath. If you do the first floor first and then find out you need access to the ceiling when you do the second story bath, you will be faced with wrecking the work you just did. Having the ceiling out won't really interfere with continuing to use the first floor bath (other than appearance). Good luck!

Old 08-21-15, 01:03 PM
M
Thanks Carbide and Stickshift! Second floor it is....

Thanks for the the logical input guys. We will start with the second floor.

Thanks again,

MaCus

Old 08-21-15, 02:08 PM
H
It looks like you made your decision I do agree starting with the second floor is best. A couple of years ago we did a total gut of the upstairs bathroom and had to get some access from the basement to the upper floor as we wanted a shower instead of a tub. So if you want to make sure you don't make too much mess on your lower floor bathroom doing the upper floor first really is the best.

Old 08-21-15, 02:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Upvotes on 1,140 Posts
I'm curious, did the contractor who wanted to start downstairs provide any reasoning?

Old 08-21-15, 04:42 PM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Not sure how anyone could give anything but guesses.
We have no idea how old the house is, what type plumbing, what type wiring there is, what you concider remodeling. Old steel plumbing?
Old ungrounded undersized wires?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: