Kitchen remodel to fit new range ?

Old 08-22-15, 01:53 PM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kitchen remodel to fit new range ?

I'd love to remodel the entire kitchen to get rid of the ugly dark wood cabinets, but that is out of the budget right now. We do want to swap out our 27" GE Spacemaker slide-in range for a 30" free standing or slide-in range. We want better burners (induction) and a bigger oven.

Our problem is that the opening between the two side cabinets is not big enough. We've thought about a few options:

1) Widen the opening. This would require trimming the cabinets which may make them look lopsided because there will only be 1" between the drawers and oven on the one side and 3" on the other. Also, the Corian counterops would have to be trimmed.

2) Remove the countertops and both drawered cabinets altogether and replace with free standing stainless steel tables. Remove backsplash altogether as well. I liked this idea, but now we'll have one more color in the kitchen. Appliances are all black, cabinets are all the same dark wood, and the Corian.

3) Follow #1 above and replace Corian altogether with something to match the induction top (black).

Any other ideas or comments on the ideas we already have?

Here's what it looks like today:

Old 08-22-15, 02:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I had the same situation at my house. My solution, since I was custom building tile countertops was to remove the slide in, cut the apron, move the left cabinet 3" to the left and build the countertop. Your situation will require some similar action. Does your Corian wrap around behind the slide in? Is it in one piece, or are there separate pieces for each cabinet section? Is there a filler on the right side, or is that pure cabinet stile? Luckily I had the 3" to move the cabinet. You may not have with the large refrigerator.

I don't think it is too DIY to cut down the cabinets. It will require a bunch of tools and knowhow to reduce their width to where it will still look good. I wish I had better news. Maybe some of the others can shed a better light on this.

Old 08-22-15, 03:57 PM
Your range is technically called a drop in, not slide in. They are similar but a drop in sits on a pedestal and slide in sits on floor. Slide in is a nice look.

You have 4 areas that you can trim the cabinets, see yellow lines. With the proper tools you can trim off excess evenly and cleanly. I would recommend a top bearing flush trim router bit used with a straightedge.

Of course you are doing this with cabinets removed. The corian can also be cut with the same bit and straightedge. You should be able to remove the corian and backsplash with no damage. Qualified installers use silicone to hold down the top and the silicone remains flexible. Slice through the silicone from under the counter using a blade.

Name:  dropinrange.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  24.6 KB

Old 08-22-15, 08:44 PM
H
Welcome to the forum I agree with Larry Chandler get a professional to do this as you may need tools you don't have such as a planer as these cabinets may need to be taken apart to change them. I suggest you talk to a custom cabinet maker and have them do that job. I think everything else you can easily do yourself. I definitely would buy a slide in and remove that kick plate as you will have more oven space. I bought prefabricated cabinets years ago but still needed some help from a cabinet maker. You might also consider just painting your cabinets for a new look.

Old 08-23-15, 05:16 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Give us all the specs on all cabinets currently in place. What is total distance from utility closet to the fridge. What is to the left of the refrigerator? What is the current opening (cabinet to cabinet) of the current range?

Looks like you can eke out a little space next to the fridge. Also, the current drop in looks loose in the opening. Have you also exhausted all possible 27" replacement units to see if there is a suitable replacement that satisfies most of your needs before cutting into the cabinetry?

Side note, that the upper cabinets will remain at 27" and may look askew if all the 3" are taken from only one side of the cabinetry. If you are concerned about balance on the lower, the uppers will drive you crazy if not in line.

Old 08-23-15, 09:05 AM
E
Good call on the side note! That would drive me nuts down the road.

I think I will get in touch with a professional. Thanks everyone for all of the advice.

Old 08-23-15, 12:37 PM
W
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Cabinets

Cabinet modification can be a nightmare when you try to take apart elements such as side panels which have been glued.

I would suggest new cabinets. I think it would be worth the wait.

Old 09-11-15, 09:41 AM
S
re

Cutting back the cabinets is all dependent on your comfort and skill level. For some its a big job while others is a small job. I was in a similar position as you a few years back. We wanted to go from a 30 inch stove to the 36 inch Wolf 6 burner stove (that thing is a beast). I had actually taken out the cabinets on the side and was about to trim down the cabinets. However, after taking out the cabinets I noticed a lot of mold. I took out a few more cabinets and saw the mold there as well. We had just moved into the house so money was tight but my wife and I agreed that we needed to fix this and get new cabinets all together. If you did want to take them out and trim it, you would need to adjust your drawer width possibly which would be a pain in the butt. Second, you don't want your drawers to be too close to the stove as opening and closing it can be a nuisance.

My advise really is to replace that small section with new cabinets and the stove. This would be the easiest option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: