Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Considering doing a backsplash but have no experience-bad idea or a possibility?

Considering doing a backsplash but have no experience-bad idea or a possibility?

Old 08-25-15, 01:13 PM
H
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We have a somewhat small area in our kitchen where someone had the bright idea of putting up a "paste-on backsplash". We want to put up real tile.

Neither my wife nor myself have any experience with tile work, so should we even consider doing this ourselves? How difficult is it? I know when we peel off the existing "backsplash" that we'll have to repair the wall to some degree.

Is this a bad idea, a REALLY bad idea lol, or it is feasible?

Here are a couple of pics of the area:

BACKSPLASH by hikerguy1 | Photobucket

Thanks,

Andy

Old 08-25-15, 02:44 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
As long as you have a means to cut the tile, it is well within the realm of DIY. You will use bullnose for the areas that are exposed without cabinet to conceal. For around $100 you can get a small table top wet saw that will allow you to make the cuts you need. Additional work will depend on how tough it is to remove the existing wall treatment and how much damage is incurred by the drywall. Time will tell, however, if damage is extensive, then replacement of the drywall will happen before the tile goes up.

Old 08-25-15, 03:33 PM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Anything can be done.
What's wrong with what's there now?

Old 08-25-15, 03:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
I couldn't tell from the pic is that wallpaper?

Old 08-26-15, 08:44 PM
H
We're looking to fix things up a bit, as we're planning on selling the house next year. We thought it's relatively cheap to put in a "real" backsplash.

It's hard to describe what it is lol It's kind of like wallpaper, but thicker and you can feeel the design in the paper as you move your hand over it. PLUS (and the worst part), it's stick on. So, we think it's going to tear up the wall pretty good.

Old 08-26-15, 08:56 PM
C
Received 86 Upvotes on 68 Posts
So suppose removing the fake tile ripped off all the paper on the drywall and you had to replace it. If you feel comfortable doing that, I would say you could handle the tile. You might want to avoid some of the trickier to deal with tiles, like glass mosaic.

Old 08-27-15, 10:04 AM
H
OK, thanks for the feedback. Still debating. Think I'll watch a few Youtube vids and see if I feel like it's something I can do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: