free standing fridge inside nook

Old 08-28-15, 06:59 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
free standing fridge inside nook

Hello everyone!

I have a very limited space kitchen, that I have remodelled in cad software. Due to the configuration of the current kitchen, I cannot do much as far as re-organizing appliances, so I had this question:

One wall of my kitchen shares a wall with my living room, which has a walk in closet in it. One end of the closet has the back side of the stairs leading up to the upstairs (If you go in the closet, you can see the bottom of the steps above)

At one point, this closet must have been accessible from both the kitchen and the living room, because there is a now covered doorway on the kitchen side, directly adjacent to the living room entry door into the closet.

The way I want to organize my kitchen calls for me to have to locate my refrigerator along this wall, however the problem is, doing that will create a blockage into the kitchen. What I wanted to do, was cut the closet in half, and in the kitchen, open the closed off side of the closet and slide a free standing fridge into the opening (In essence, making it a built-in refrigerator). I was told, that due to several issues, one being issues with the fridge overheating, and others with the doors not providing clearance to open if its inside of a nook, that I wouldn't be able to do this.

I do not have the money to shell forward for a built-in fridge, and since I have a fairly new stainless steel side by side, I wanted to just make this nook in the kitchen the size of the fridge, and slide it in there. Would this be an issue?

Below is a mockup diagram of what I am referring to.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  17.0 KB

Old 08-28-15, 07:23 AM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
As long as the doors remain outside the enclosure then you should not have a problem opening them.

Old 08-28-15, 08:20 AM
J
What about ventilation of the fridge? I want the opening to be somewhat tight, as I was going to trim it out with trim so it had a nice look to it.

Old 08-28-15, 10:44 AM
H
You don't want it too tight especially since the refrigerator will not be built in. If you do you will block off air flow to the refrigerator. Built in units have the compressor at the top and not the bottom which is why they are better suited to being built in. A regular unit needs air flow or it will over heat causing premature failure of the refrigerator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: