Tub to shower base: Drain conversion

Old 09-05-15, 08:47 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tub to shower base: Drain conversion

Hi all,
The drain line conversion from 1.5 to 2 inch is going to be a bit more painful than I thought.
  1. The drain runs from one end of the shower to the other end, which is against an exterior wall.
  2. Then it turns 90 degrees downwards heading towards the kitchen on the first floor. (It's a partial soffit like situation)
  3. Once it reaches below the joists, it turns right
  4. At this point, from what I can see using a flex mirror & a flashlight is that it runs about 5 ft and is connected to a 3 inch drain, which presumably is the drain from toilet in the bathroom being remodeled above. The relative positions seem to indicate that.
  5. I am not able to really see any Y join where I see the 3 inch pipe, but I have to conclude that it is there (when I tug at the 1.5 pipe, there is no play in the direction towards the 3 inch pipe, it is firmly attached to something.)
  6. There will be a need to take down a few cabinets and also tear up the ceiling in the kitchen to get this done.

Here is the problem. The plumber is so heavily booked that he can fix this plumbing only 2 weeks from now.

What can I do in the bathroom upstairs in the meantime?
It does look like the entire drain conversion can be done from the kitchen ceiling side. Am I correct in this assessment? If so, can I proceed with the remaining steps in the bathroom?

Thanks
Tbone

Old 09-06-15, 05:26 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
How far off center would the drain be, if the base were installed, without moving the drain? What was the reason for removing the tub?

Old 09-06-15, 07:01 AM
T
I am converting from a tub to a shower base, for health/mobility reasons.

I hope I am understanding your question correctly. The center of top of the p-trap with the tub fixture is 3 inches from the plumbing wall stud/plate. For the shower base where the drain will go straight down into the p-trap, the center of the top of the p-trap will be 9 inches from the plumbing stud/plate.

If I install the shower base and finish up the waterproofing of the walls and tiles, the drain hole in the preformed base will be left open. When the kitchen ceiling is opened up, the plumber will have access to the entire length from the shower base drain opening to the end of the tub and all the way to the 3 inch pipe.

Old 09-06-15, 10:23 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If you are comfortable doing the rough plumbing from the drain to the wall cavity then you can save yourself some time. You will need a 2" solvent weld p-trap and a compression drain body and some straight pipe. Stub it out all the way to near the 90 degree turn that goes toward the 3". Hopefully, the plumber can hook up from there and water test the drain for leaks. Worst case is he has to tear out the ceiling all the way back to the drain area. But it could save you some ceiling repair.

Old 09-07-15, 06:47 AM
T
Thanks czizzi. That is the most that can be done under the circumstances.

BTW, the drain line is meeting the 3 inch at an elbow, like a "low-heel" joint.
So, maybe the 3 inch elbow might need to be replaced. I'll let the pros handle this one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: