Can I change out the shower base?

Old 09-12-15, 05:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I change out the shower base?

My shower BASE is cracked and leaking water. Is it possible to change out just the base without having to tear down the tub surround?

Name:  bath2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  30.6 KB

Old 09-12-15, 05:28 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Probably not, the base has a flange all around that extends up behind the walls. This is to maintain waterproof seal. To remove the base you have to remove the walls first.

Old 09-12-15, 05:50 PM
If this is the case, can the surround be reused or is it "game over" once it ripped off? How about drywall damage after taking the surround off?

Old 09-12-15, 06:29 PM
You can certainly reuse the walls if, and a big if, you can procure the same exact base to fit the walls. The drywall work in never an issue as it can always be repaired.

Old 09-14-15, 03:54 PM
So I'm taking it the bases aren't universal? I'm hoping the surround is directly to the studs with no drywall or sheetrock behind it. I think that might benefit me some if it's on the studs.

Jesus, this is looking more and more like a nightmare!

Old 09-14-15, 04:22 PM
No, unfortunately, they are not standard. The measurement you are looking for is from the corner of the wall out to the edge of the glass along the sheet rock. The style is called Neo-Angled shower and the measurements will be 36"x36", or 32"x32" or whatever the back measurement is. Then use the detail on the outside of the base as well as the detail on the corner shelves to see if you can find a match.

Give us a little more information on the leak. Is it possible that it can be repaired?

Old 09-14-15, 04:29 PM
The base is neo angle at 42" x 42" in the back along the wall. Two sides are 18" and the front is 31".

I really would like to re-use the doors if possible. If I can't get the surround off the walls intact then so be it but I want the doors. I'll attach a pic!

The base that is cracked was there when I bought the home. It looks like a $600 base compared to others I've seen online.

By the way, czizzi, I GREATLY appreciate the advice and help here!

Name:  bath2.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  30.6 KB

Old 09-14-15, 05:43 PM
By the way, czizzi, I GREATLY appreciate the advice and help here!
That's why I get paid the big bucks....Oh wait, this is all volunteer - Drat. But thanks for the kind words and it is my pleasure to assist.

I still would like to see the area that is in question where there is a leak. We might be able to salvage which would be a tremendous savings if possible.

Old 09-15-15, 02:36 PM
Czizzi, the main crack is located to the right of the drain and is about six inches long. I'm actually not closed on the property yet but am trying to get things ready to go on this for when it does happen in a week or so. I noticed the crack during the home inspection and water leaks out of the base, under the toilet, and out into the gameroom. There may also be a few other minor cracks in the base also. I took photos but they did not turn out.

I was hoping to somehow pull the base out without tearing the walls down and replace a new one in. Now it seems I have to match bases with walls. I'm wondering if the shower doors will even work if I need to buy a new base and walls. Man this sucks! The upstairs bathroom is circa 1950's and needs an update so I need to get this bath completed right away so I have something to use!

Old 09-15-15, 03:03 PM
A lot of these cracks are superficial and in the top coat only. Your leak may be at the drain itself and a relatively easy fix. It also may be a caulking problem or any number of other fairly easy fixes. There are several potential drains that you can have on that type of shower. Is the game room adjacent or below the bathroom?

Old 09-15-15, 03:47 PM
czizzi, I may have a solution at hand...at least something to try...an INLAY!!!! I've been researching this and Nu Tub makes something that appears to be pretty durable and highly recommended! I think I might at least try it before ripping the hell out of the whole room!

Thanks, friend, for the help! Greatly appreciated!

Old 09-15-15, 06:06 PM
Elaborate on this inlay idea please, I can't think of any solution that involves going over the base.

Old 09-16-15, 02:24 PM
Lowe's sells these by Nu Tub. They are fiberglass "patches" that stick on the base using a marine type adhesive.

Here's a video I found on YouTube but shows the tub repair instead of a shower base. Same general idea though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6oLelajU1Q

I've also contacted a few people locally here who do tub and shower base repairs.

Old 09-16-15, 04:53 PM
Something like that may work, but really need to see the actual base and crack to be sure. The crack is from movement and insufficient support under the base in that area. A bandaid may not hold long term. But if we can not get additional pictures then will find it tough to recommend a course of action. Can you get in before closing to shore up your game plan?

Old 09-17-15, 03:13 PM
czizzi, the way the seller is moving on this I'll be lucky to get the keys at the closing on the 30th!

I will post more detailed photos as soon as I can. I have already ordered this patch kit anyway so I have it ready to go. If I try it and it still leaks then I'll do what I need to do to correct the problem.

I was hoping the cracks were just from the current owners fat a$$ standing in the shower!

czizzi, you live anywhere near Pittsburgh? If so, you're hired buddy!

Last edited by czizzi; 09-17-15 at 03:40 PM. Reason: minor word correction
Old 09-17-15, 03:42 PM
czizzi, you live anywhere near Pittsburgh? If so, you're hired buddy!
Careful, soliciting of work will get me in trouble with the supers....but thanks for the kind words.

I'm afraid the commute would kill me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: