Installing a curved shower bar

Old 10-01-15, 08:02 PM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing a curved shower bar

Trying to install one of these curved shower bar.

In my case I do not have a walk in shower, but a tub. So it needs to be a specific height off the floor so the shower liner would not be too low or too high. It also has to be a specific distance horizontally from the opposite wall...which means the two ends need to be mounted at a fairly specific location on the wall.

Problem is I do not have studs at that location. I have wall tiles but that goes to about 72" off the floor, so the shower arm would be mounted on the sheet rock above that. I don't feel secure using just drywall toggle bolts or plastic anchors.

Any idea how I can mount it securely?

Old 10-02-15, 03:13 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would use the anchors & add one of those support brackets from the ceiling.

Old 10-02-15, 03:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
I would use toggle bolts and add a dot of construction adhesive behind the plate to help glue it to the drywall. Be sure you get the rod level so the curtain doesn't dip lower at the center. Better for the curtain to be a bit high than too low. If too low it can get pulled down by stepping on it.

Old 10-02-15, 04:18 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
To add to X's comment, also invest in some really good rollers not the cheap hooks. As in the picture, those utilize little bearings that help the curtain move smoothly. That is where all the force is placed on the bar. The cheap dept store hooks never work and will put undo force on the bar as you try to slide the curtain.

Old 10-02-15, 08:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to a very strong anchor. You will need to purchase the special drill bit also.

To use these, Ideally your mounting plate will have only one center hole.

WingIts World's Strongest Fastener Standard (2-Anchors)-RC-MAW35-2 - The Home Depot

I've used these to mount free-hanging vent hoods and they are not kidding when they say the anchors are strong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: