Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Combine toilet and shower, one large shower pan?

Old 10-09-15, 11:14 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be remodeling our master bath to make it feel more open. The toilet and the shower stall currently have a sliding shower door separating them and a door that separate the stalls from the vanity. This makes everything feel really tight. For my remodel, I want to blow out the door/wall the separate the vanity from the toilet and shower door and add a frameless glass door to make the room feel open then add a door to where you enter the bathroom. which didn't have a door before.

I want to keep it open between the shower and the toilet so that whole area now become a shower stall. Essentially, the entire room there will be a huge tile shower pan, so it doesn't feel claustrophobic when we shower.

It's 8 ft from end to end and the shower head will at the same direction of the toilet. Do you think there will be issues with the toilet constantly getting went by the shower?

First photo is my new idea second one is the current layout.
Name:  new master bath.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  11.4 KBName:  current sketchup layout.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  9.8 KB

Old 10-09-15, 12:13 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It sounds bizarre as described. Do a simple line layout that shows dimensions as well as what is behind all 4 walls. Awkward that you would go into the shower to use the toilet. Also, remember that the toilet sits above a large hole in the floor that contains a pipe. Waterproofing that will be difficult. But lets see the blank space and start from a clean slate.

Old 10-09-15, 02:25 PM
D
Yah that design is really odd to start with. I moved in a year ago and I used this bathroom no more than 10 times. I hate it...

Here's a simple layout with as many details I can think of.

http://postimg.org/image/l4p6dpnib/

Name:  current sketchup lflat ayout.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  7.9 KB

Old 10-09-15, 02:52 PM
as well as what is behind all 4 walls.
Give me the details of what is behind the closet, behind the 59" walls and behind the vanity wall. Is the vanity a single bowl or double? Is it the sole source of makeup preparation? Where is the existing toilet and shower?

Old 10-09-15, 03:41 PM
D
Behind the Closet is the stairway

behind the vanity is another closet. Vanity is a single bowl and we'll keep it a single bowl 50" with 2 bowls would feel cramped. Our old house had double vanity but we never use them both together.

The new photo I put up IS the existing layout. I'm not moving anything from the old layout, just removing and shortening the couple walls and remove the existing door that lead into where the toilet and shower is.

Maybe this would help...here's an actual photo

The wall where you see the towel to your left is basically the entrance into the bathroom it has no doors... here I will add a door and shorten the wall by about 12" to make it more open.

Then you got the vanity on your left. Walking through that door the toilet is on the left on the other side of the medicine cabinet and the shower is on the right. where you see the closet

My thought is to take down that wall wall on the left completely and shorten the wall on the right or technically I can completely remove the wall to the right as well which will leave me with 24" wide of tile on the wall for the shower head and valve then add a 12" glass panel to make up for the missing 12" of wall since the shower pan is 36" x36"

In place of that door you see in the photo and those walls gone, I needed a way to isolate water from getting out into the vanity area of the bathroom. So I thought since my shower doors are gonna have to be custom, why not make glass panels across that whole area to make a shower stall feel larger. Going this route I will need to have the entire room where the toilet/shower like a shower pan.

the simpler approach is to remove the wall and just get a frameless shower door and keep the shower stall 36x36...

http://s21.postimg.org/c3634eqfr/201...41_resized.jpg

Old 10-09-15, 04:30 PM
Sorry for all the questions, does the closet behind the vanity run the whole width of the vanity/toilet area? Are any of the walls load bearing? Trying to start with the maximum open space and then reconfigure to maximize everything.

The shower and toilet in the same footprint as a normal tub (59") will have issues.

Old 10-09-15, 04:30 PM
D
played around with the different configuration and here are two idea. If the wife's clothes isn't in the way I'd just get rid of the closet and have a very large bathroom with a soaking tub.

Just get the shower door for the stall this will make the stall feel bigger since it'll be all clear and less walls to start with

Or do a really large shower door but across the span of the old walls this will really make the shower stall feel bigger since pretty much that entire area will become a shower.

Old 10-09-15, 04:43 PM
D
No worries, I'm greatful for the questions as you have some I didn't think of.

Closet behind vanity is almost the entire width of the vanity plus the toilet wall. I don't believe any to be load bearing but I'm almost certain that the walls that I want to remove are not load bearing.

I'm not adding a tub, it will still be a standing shower stall so it won't be a problem.

Old 10-09-15, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,323 Likes on 2,984 Posts
Tile the floor in the shower and toilet area but move the shower wall and curb out to give you more shower space and keep the water contained in its own area.

Name:  current_sketchup_lflat_ayout.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  18.6 KB

Old 10-09-15, 05:47 PM
Yes, I know you were not doing a tub, I said that statement for the benefit of others reading as that size wall is a standard tub length. A shower and toilet in that amount of space will not work as a combined unit. Here is what I want you to think about overnight. Add the closet behind the vanity into the bath dimensions and look at that from a blank slate. Remove all elements and start the process over. Carve a new closet out where the inside the bath closet was and rebuild the bath from there. My schedule leaves little design time today, but you seem to have your cad program up and running. Remember, everything can be relocated including the entry door, vanity, toilet and shower. Start fresh and build what you want instead of piece meal a couple of adjustments to an already cramped bath.

Old 10-09-15, 06:28 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Something else to think about is resale value of your house, unless you plan on living there until you die. I think that the majority of buyers would take one look at a combined toilet/shower and run.

I had a large shower in my second bathroom, roughly 5 feet long and 3 feet wide and I tore it out in favor of a 6 foot long whirlpool tub. It did require bumping out the wall separating from the other bedroom another foot but I'm not the least bit sorry I did it. I'll never understand why the builder put that shower in rather than a standard tub with shower as the size/space was the same.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: