Best kitchen cabinet brand

Old 10-12-15, 10:40 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best kitchen cabinet brand

Having looked over our old kitchen in our former rental house I have decided that the old cabinets need to go. The sink cabinet is shot from too much water getting to it and many of the other cabinets looked tired and outdated from abuse and wear.

I have heard of many different brands and I would like to please ask you what brand of kitchen cabinet is the best since we are going to sell the house. We will be having a dishwasher in the kitchen and a combination stove/oven and just a regular refrigerator probably all in stainless steel. Thank you for your help

If I get a chance to I will show pictures of our present day kitchen and then try to give you a better picture of how I want the new kitchen to look.

Old 10-13-15, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 963 Votes on 884 Posts
In my area custom cabinets are relatively affordable and start at about the same price as pre-fabricated brand name cabinets. They are much higher quality and can be ordered to fit so you don't have to make do with standard sizes or filler strips. I've tried one supposedly high quality brand of cabinets from my local home center and was very disappointed in the quality for the price. I only go to the big box home center when looking for inexpensive grade cabinets. Anything more than that I have them custom made.

If you go with cabinets that have to be made either custom or home center brand name make it one of the first steps in your process. Lead times can vary wildly. Even delivery times stated up front should sometimes be taken with a grain of salt so plan your schedule accordingly. Whenever possible I like to have the cabinets in hand before demo'ing the old kitchen. Getting the cabinets first gives you the opportunity to inspect and make sure they are the proper size and any delays in delivery don't leave you with a demolished kitchen for weeks.

Old 10-13-15, 06:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I have Schrock in my house and would buy them again.

Old 10-13-15, 06:15 PM
H
I might consider something custom made or maybe semi-custom as I know some manufacturers will do semi-custom cabinets. Stickshift you mentioned Shrock cabinets I don't believe I have heard of that brand before, do they make their cabinets out of plywood? The brand I have in the house now is made of fiber board and really couldn't stand the heat and steam of the dishwasher.

Does anyone know anything about the Cabinets To Go stores that sell cabinets? I have heard of them and there is a store nearby but I know nothing about their reputation or the quality of the cabinets they sell.

Old 10-13-15, 07:06 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Cabinets tend to be fairly regional as shipping them long distances is expensive. So you would probably be better seeking regional recommendations. Of course there are some big nationals but often they are not best value.

I've installed a lot of Kraftmaid cabinets here in Ohio and find them to be well made and durable.

Cabinets to go is an RTA (ready to assemble) vendor. This means the cabinets come in flat cartons and you have to assemble them. Like IKEA if you are familiar with them, also, the big box stores sell RTA cabinets (as well as fully assembled). As RTA goes, the CTG units are pretty nice. I don't believe the cabinet boxes are plywood; I think they are veneered or laminated particle board. They do have solid wood doors, drawer fronts, and face frames.

Good luck!

Old 10-13-15, 11:12 PM
H
CarbideTipped you just saved me a trip to Cabinets To Go I really don't want RTA cabinets for a kitchen. I will have to look into Kraftmaid and see how they are made as well as Shrock too so now I am beginning to get a little bit clearer picture now as to some good brands. I have heard of one cabinet maker fairly close by and I might visit that persons shop fairly soon to see some of their work. Kraftmaid I have heard about and I know they sell them at the Home Depot but I haven't had a good close look at them.

I am not yet ready for cabinets I am going to try to sell the old cabinets and if I can't sell them then at least donate them to a worthy cause. So please if you know of other worthy brands that are high quality then please let me know and thank you everyone for helping me.

Old 10-14-15, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
We have Kraftmaid and they are well-made and sturdy. House was built in '94, so can't vouch for more recently manufactured ones.

Old 10-14-15, 06:12 AM
Many manufacturers make quality cabinets. There are options available to upgrade the cabinets. Depending on your budget, here's a few things I would recommend:

- At least 1/2" plywood sides
- 3/4" shelves
- Solid raised panel doors
- 3/4" drawer boxes with dove tails
- Full extension drawer slides, something like Blum tandem (smart motion)
- As many roll out shelves in bottom cabinets as you can fit

If you plan to install these yourself, I recommend face frame cabinets versus full overlay or European cabinets. The face frame type is easier to install as far as applying crown and trim.

Old 10-14-15, 07:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Here's their website. Would think an Indiana company that supplies western WI would reach to MD as well:
Semi Custom Cabinets for Kitchens & Bathrooms - Schrock

Old 10-14-15, 04:31 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
All good ideas being given, I'll present a couple more. When adding drawers I would always opt for more shallower drawers and fewer deep drawers. With deep drawers you will always overfill them and have items get lost at the bottom. The one exception is if you have an upper sliding tray in the deeper drawers.

Try to eliminate any "blind corners" or else, if possible, have a separate door on the other side (as in a peninsula installation) to access the blind corner. Better (in my opinion) to block off a blind corner than to "lose" things way back there.

Think hard about having all drawers, yes deep ones, rather than shelves in the lower cabinets. If you can't have drawers then opt for the sliding trays that pull out. Nothing more irritating for me than to have to get on my knees and dig around to get something pushed to the back of the fixed shelf.

Also make provisions for a covered garbage container as well as recycling bins in the lower cabinets if at all possible.

Old 10-14-15, 07:46 PM
H
Thank you Joel for your ideas I do have a broom closet cabinet now and I will want that again as there are no regular closets built in. I think I will incorporate a trash cabinet right next to the broom closet that will allow for recycling too. I do have a lazy Susan cabinet now but I am thinking of getting something different for the corner as I know they have trays that pull out rather than be on a wheel. I do agree with you about blind corners and with a big kitchen that can be very annoying.

Old 10-23-15, 08:11 PM
H
I thought I would post some pictures to show you the old cabinets I currently have and bounce some ideas around. The first picture is of the broom closet I currently have in this kitchen Name:  Broom Cabinet (300 x 451).jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  17.9 KB. The second picture is of the cabinet under the counter Name:  Cabinet under counter (300 x 199).jpg
Views: 790
Size:  11.4 KB. The third picture is of the wall cabinets near the basement door which are next to the broom cabinet and under the cabinet which is under the cabinet Name:  Wall cabinets and counter by door (300 x 199).jpg
Views: 797
Size:  10.9 KB.

In total there are two walls of cabinets including where the sink is and the stove. Next are the other cabinets near the stove and sink. Here are the cabinets as seen by the sink Name:  Cabinets sink view (300 x 199).jpg
Views: 815
Size:  16.1 KB. Now the cabinets near the stove Name:  Cabinets stove view (300 x 199).jpg
Views: 710
Size:  13.1 KB.

On the broom closet side I plan on having one wall of cabinets perhaps going as high as the ceiling. There will be lower and upper cabinets with a very short counter top on the broom closet side instead of a wrap around counter. I will also be keeping a broom closet on the wall where it currently is and instead of a wrap around counter I will have a small kitchen table with a couple of chairs. There will be no end cabinet as there will be no room for one.

Basically on the other side where the sink and stove are things will stay fairly much the same except that there will be no microwave over the stove. Also next to the stove I will be putting in a larger cabinet as I feel the current cabinet next to the stove on the left is too small. To the right of the stove right now is a lazy Susan but I may have a pull out cabinet instead there. On the broom closet side I think deeper cabinets might be better but also perhaps harder to install. Your thoughts on my ideas so far are appreciated.

Old 10-23-15, 10:10 PM
F
Richard, I LIKE those cabinets. I have roughly the same arrangement as you but without the broom closet. Unfortunately, my cabinets are all darker colored with the recessed panel look. I far prefer the clean lines of your cabinets. Also unfortunate, my cabinets are all particle board construction so not counting the doors and drawer fronts are really cheesy.

Maybe some day I will get new cabinets...but probably not. I'd far prefer quartz composite counter tops over the tile I have as well.

Old 10-24-15, 01:29 AM
H
Joel I am glad you like the cabinets and at one time I used to like them too but over time the particle board cabinets have been damaged and I am afraid beyond repair for a decent kitchen. I am sure with your cabinets you wish they were not particle board and if I can help it my new cabinets will be made with plywood. If you look closely at the picture where the sink is and the dishwasher used to be you will see fairly extensive damage to the sink cabinet. Unfortunately many of the other lower cabinets are damaged too.

The big cabinet near the door lost its original hinges and the drawer front and door are damaged from abuse. Near the sink is a small cabinet for cutlery which is also damaged as the drawer front at one time was pulled away and then screwed back in place. The small cabinet next to the stove has been damaged too although you can't see the damage well in the photos you really have to look at it to see the damage. Counter tops have been burned or gouged and need to be replaced.

Sadly only the broom closet and uppers are in fairly good shape but even those are filthy and need cleaning. Hopefully someone can re-purpose these cabinets perhaps in a garage so I will try to sell them cheap if I can and if not then donate them to a worthy cause.

Old 10-25-15, 03:58 AM
F
I didn't look all that closely at the pictures, my comment was in regard to the style and look of the doors and drawer fronts. I totally agree with everything you stated about cheap particle board cabinets.

Old 10-25-15, 05:22 PM
H
The style isn't bad Joel but I am seeing trends towards cabinets now with recessed panels and pulls. It was great though for tenants as you would never lose any handles with the handles being built into the cabinet. I still like lighter cabinets and nothing real dark so I plan on staying towards a lighter cabinet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: