Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Move (already installed) bathtub closer to the wall?

Old 10-18-15, 05:28 AM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bathtub in my master bathroom has over the past 15 years since renovation moved a tiny bit away from the wall.

This has meant that when trying to reseal with silicone the gap is a bit larger than I'd like and the bead comes out a bit wide (aesthetic problem), but more concerning, is that where it is the widest, the silicone drips down and doesn't set to form a good seal.

I'd like to move the tub back so it is against the wall - can I just do this with brute force or is there a better way?

Thanks, BT

Old 10-18-15, 05:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Tubs don't just move. What is under the tub? can you get a visual from underneath? I'd suspect water damage to the floor or floor framing

Old 10-18-15, 06:10 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
What type of tub you have? Is your's a "wet" bathroom with a floor drain and semi-moveable fixtures or a more traditional (at least more traditional to us in North America) style with fixtures permanently attached to the walls and drain plumbing hard piped in.

Old 10-19-15, 04:26 AM
B
There is a wooden bathtub panel across the front which I don't know how to remove, hence no pics at the moment.

The bathroom is in a below-ground flat, hence unlikely there is any damage to the floor below (sits directly on the concrete).

I am not sure, re: wet or traditional. Any easy way to find out? The controls to the bathtub/shower are built into the wall behind the tiles if that means anything.

Thanks v much

Old 10-19-15, 05:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Does that wooden panel cover the whole front of the tub or is the tub elevated and setting on top of it?
pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-19-15, 07:20 AM
B
I'll take pics when I get home from work today.

Thanks

Old 10-19-15, 07:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,521 Posts
Your tub, if American style, would be nailed or screwed to the framing around a flange at the top back and sides of the tub. I have seen some in Europe where the tub mostly just sits on the floor. I assume relying on it's weight to hold it in place.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: