Discoloration on marble inside shower

Old 10-22-15, 06:32 PM
B
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discoloration on marble inside shower

Hi everyone, I just recently renovated my bathroom. The wall of my shower is a rough, unpolished light colored marble. Sadly, it looked nice before I started using the shower but now after some time it has developed a permanent "wet" discoloration that is seen below the window and the left side of the window. I believe it is due to the excessive moisture in the bathroom every time I shower. I keep the window open and also the door to the bathroom open as well during my showers to reduce moisture.

Also I was unaware that with this style of marble that when installed, it is normal for a "space" to be in between some of the pieces. I thought that was bizarre and mold would form from the shower so I asked to have it filled but it was at least, in my eyes done quite poorly. That is probably my doing since I should have left it as is.

I spoke to the gentleman that did the remodeling and he said I can use hardware store bought "Acetone" to remove the discoloration. I have yet to try this but am wondering if anyone here has some insight or that I am SOL and shouldn't of even gotten this done in the first place

Thanks.

Here is a link to what I believe is installed in the shower or very similar. Solistone Modern 1/2'' x 3/4'' Stone Unpolished Mosaic in Beaux (Set of 10) - Walmart.comName:  20151022_181708.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  29.2 KBName:  20151022_181716.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  21.6 KBName:  20151022_181745.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  24.4 KBName:  20151022_181827.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  27.1 KBName:  20151022_181834.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  24.8 KB

Sorry for the pictures being sideways, don't know why it is doing that.

Old 10-22-15, 07:01 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
#1, Huge mistake to have a window in shower.
#2, Marble is very porus and should have been sealed before it was ever used, may have taken two coats to seal it.
No water softer?
Acetone to clean tile!! No way.
That would have been the last type tile I would have picked for a shower, near impossible to clean!.

Old 10-22-15, 07:36 PM
B
Unfortunately it is a coop so I had no choice in the design of the building or apt =/. Ya I don't believe it was sealed before being used if I remember correctly.

What do you mean "water softer"?

Now I learned my lesson, hopefully when I sell the apt the person loves it and has bad eye sight haha.

Thanks

Last edited by stickshift; 10-23-15 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 10-22-15, 08:10 PM
J
Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts
A water softner would have removed the removed the minerals (iron) that is staining the tile.

Old 10-29-15, 11:13 AM
B
Do you think I should still try the water softener? Do you have any recommendations on which ones? Thanks

Old 10-29-15, 12:49 PM
H
Water softeners usually are installed inline meaning that they are installed where the water comes into your building. There are various brands out there and while it can be done by the do it your self person it usually is best to have one installed by a plumber. Things can go wrong in the installation if you don't and since you live in a coop you don't want that. As for the shower tile I wouldn't have chosen marble either it is the pits to clean and your style of marble sad to say while nice with the motion in it is very hard to clean. Much better with a flat marble if you get marble at all.

As for the marble though it just so happens that you are in luck you can get marble cleaner at about any Lowe's or Home Depot store. Go to their bath department and ask someone there where they have the marble cleaner and sealer and they will direct you in the right direction. I can't guarantee that it will look like new but the marble will look much better after sealing it. I also suggest you get while there a shower head with a wand on it if you don't already have one so that you can rinse that tile off after cleaning it. Then let it dry an hour and follow the directions on the sealer and let it dry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: