Quartz counter installation over a half wall.

Old 10-23-15, 02:36 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quartz counter installation over a half wall.

I am renovating the kitchen in my condo and I have a question re quartz counter installation over a half wall.

My kitchen is an L-shaped galley kitchen. I opened up the kitchen by cutting down the L-shaped metal stud wall by the stove to half height (gas line in wall). The slide-in gas stove will be centered on this wall and there will be one 24” Ikea cabinet on either side of the stove and the short side of the wall will be to the left of the cabinet on the left.

Of course, when the wall was cut down, it became less stable. I was told that the cabinets would anchor the wall once they were installed. For additional support, I attached the studs/wall to the wood floor with very large L-Shaped brackets (12” height). The floor in the kitchen now has tile.

The original plan was to have the wall high enough so that there would be a small 4" back splash behind the stove, but I would have to buy two slabs of quartz material greatly increasing the cost.

I would like to make the wall the same height as the cabinets and stove and place the quartz on top of the wall and cabinets wrapping behind the stove so that it is one flat surface.

The question is… will the cabinets stabilize the wall and vice versa enough so that the counter top will be stable.

Old 10-23-15, 03:02 PM
W
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Cabinets

will the cabinets stabilize the wall and vice versa enough so that the counter top will be stable.
Depends on how you fasten the cabinets. Fasten to the wall at the top and bottom of the cabinets and fasten the cabinets to the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: