Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Old Hall Bath: Ceramic flaking/cracking on 'integral' tile soap holder

Old Hall Bath: Ceramic flaking/cracking on 'integral' tile soap holder

Old 11-07-15, 04:30 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Old Hall Bath: Ceramic flaking/cracking on 'integral' tile soap holder

Hi all, Thanks for all the advice so far. First time Homeowner/Quick Learner... Got these (2) lovely ceramic holders grouted into the tile in my old hall bathroom. The soap holder is flaking / cracking on the top ceramic surface (glaze?).
Is there any thing I can do to paint / coat / seal it? Basically is there anything short of going at it with a grout rake, pry bar, etc. and putting in a tile... The state of the art cup holder w/ 6x travel toothbrush holders is still in good shape. Thanks for any suggestions in advance! Name:  hall bath 1final.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  16.0 KBName:  hall bath 2final.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  17.1 KB

I Don't wanna be This Guy! http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RXV5MKAh6n...h/P1011892.JPG

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-15, 05:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you use the fixtures, they can be broken out of the tile run and replaced with new if you are so inclined. Cutting the grout or silicone surrounding them is first, then sometimes a thin pry bar can be inserted behind to loosen it from the wall. As old as they appear, they are most likely adhered to just sheetrock, so it may destroy some of it on removal. It appears to be standard 4 1/4" subway type tile so the fixtures OR decorative tiles would be available to fill the void once removed.

I don't know of a product that would replace solid glazing, if that is what is flaking. Could it be paint?

Old 11-07-15, 05:54 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
The box stores sell a reglazing paint. I usually don't recommend as they have a poor record of performance on larger items such as sinks and tubs. But in your case, such a small area, it might work. It would be a stark white though, and if yours is a matte or off white, it may stick our like a sore thumb.

To remove, looses as much grout as you can surrounding the holder. You must break the bond with the adjacent tile or you will chip out a piece of the 4.25x4.25 tile around it. Hit it with an oscilating tool with a grout blade (or a dull metal blade). Then take a hammer and cold stone chisel and go at it from the inside out. You can hit the unit to see if it pops right out, but more than likely, it comes out in little pieces. Again, work from the middle toward the outside. Resist the natural urge to pry from the outside as it will only cause damage to the adjacent tiles. I did this in 26+ hotel bathrooms removing soap dishes, towel rod holders and toilet paper holders that were colored (blue, green and/or beige depending on the room) and replaced them with white. I had to be careful as the wall tile was discontinued and not available should I have goofed. Did in a couple of residential applications as well. A tile store should carry white replacement units.

Old 11-07-15, 04:53 PM
B
I don't know of a product that would replace solid glazing, if that is what is flaking. Could it be paint?
Yep @chandler, it is paint.. It appears that previous owner painted over all the tile (including all grout and these holders).

After some "handy" work I got it looking like this:
Name:  hall bath update.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  39.5 KB
The ceramic appears to be in ok shape... I would love (for the short term) to just re paint it... I'm sure I will need to do some significant work in here down the road. suggestions on paint type/prep work?

Old 11-07-15, 05:20 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I'm sure it is the re-glazing paint mentioned before. The key is the prep and the one place that needs the most prep is the soap dish. If you don't get 100% of the soap scum off before applying, you get the results you have. Which is why it has a bad reputation. I have a buddy who re-glazes tubs for a living, he cleans and then acid etches before prime and final top coat. Get is a clean as you possibly can.

Old 11-11-15, 07:25 AM
B
Thanks for all the input. Update: I ordered some rust-oleum tub & tile. was the best reviewed of the common ones (better than homax/Way better than XIM). Gets here today.

I stripped the whole soap dish. Managed to only accidentally strip 1 (~.25") spot (had same tile paint) from an adjacent tile .Planning on using CLR (orig. pourable) to prep it. I'll be back!

Old 11-24-15, 10:32 PM
B
Question Update: Sorry for the delay

hey guys. I've been workin' on other stuff, and it took quite a while to get the epoxy paint delivered. I decided to order the rustoleum tub and tile. I ordered the 12 oz spray can (aerosol)(delays plus can only be shipped 'ground'), based on a chat with paint dept guy at hd about getting a smooth coat(s) on this uneven surface.
here is the dish after all stripping/during prep.

I attempted to follow all instructions/suggestions to a T. I stripped, sanded, CLR'd with scub pad, rinsed, clr'd, rinsed, dried, waited 90min. then...

Let's just say I sprayed too much :NO NO NO: I got over zealous.
Paint pooled up a bit in the 'grooves(?)' of the soap holder. I noticed pretty quickly. So, I know i will need to strip n start over. No problem. Of course my (hind) sight is 20/20
I could use some feedback about one particular issue. I masked off the whole area, and used painters tape at the edges. Now I have "hard" (slightly raised) edges around the sides:

Any ideas greatly appreciated, Thanks!