Opening for barn door in master bath

Old 11-17-15, 05:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Opening for barn door in master bath

I'm planning a major bathroom remodel. My wife and I have spent a couple years figuring out the details, though I can use some advice regarding the barn door I plan to install. I have to tear down a wall, so modifications to the door opening aren't going to be a hassle.

I'm going to hang a pine slab door with translucent glass on barn-door sliders. I'm planing on making the opening 30 inches and using a 32-inch door. Does that sound right?

Should I make a wood doorjamb, or should make the opening drywall? I'm leaning towards making it drywall.

Thanks again for the advice.
D

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-15, 06:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 156 Posts
A bathroom is the last place I'd want a barn door... no privacy, sound transmission, no lock.... but I don't know ur whole plan.

That being said, there is no reason either wouldn't work. Drywall or wood jamb its all the same. With wood jamb, the casing would affect how far from the wall the door would need to hang.

Just keep in mind that if the door is 1" from the wall as it rolls, and the opening is only 1" smaller than the door on each side... you can quite easily see through that gap when looking in at an angle.

Old 11-17-15, 06:22 PM
I always suggest thinking about accessibility when doing a bathroom gut, since it's the best time to think about it. If you can swing a 36" opening I'd recommend it.

1" overlap on each edge of door is OK. Keep in mind that the barn door style (which I really like) is not real good at blocking sound if that's important to you. A little more overlap would help a little in that regard.

Wood or drywall for the jamb is mostly a style thing, but I think wood is more durable in terms of taking bumps and bangs from vacuums and mops and what-have-you. If you go drywall think about bullnose since the corners tend to get beat up first.

Make sure your door is well sealed on all sides and edges so it stands up to the humidity.

Good luck with your project!

Old 11-17-15, 07:11 PM
Thank you both for your advice!

Sound is not a problem because it's the master bathroom only accessible from the master bedroom. We considered a fluid master suite with no door, but opted for toilet privacy.

The bedroom is really big, so the suggestion for a wider opening is good. I might do a 34" opening with 36" door.

I'm still deciding whether the jamb will be wood or drywall with bullnose corner.

Thanks!
D

Old 11-17-15, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 156 Posts
Keep in mind that if it's drywall that your baseboard will surely have to wrap around the opening... (looks weird, imo) or return to the wall just short of the bullnose on the face of the wall, meaning the drywall jamb needs to be finished tight to the floor (always gets damaged). If you use a wood jamb, the baseboard will butt into the door casing. And the barn door will need to clear the casing, as mentioned. The casing actually usually helps close the unsightly gap between the door and wall, I have found. When there is no casing, that gap I was talking about just seems larger.

I have used "Johnson hardware's" barn door hardware, and have installed it concealed inside a valance box.