Bathroom Ceiling Drywall

Old 12-04-15, 07:28 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Drywall

Our city uses 2005 or 2008 IRC building codes to go by. I am not sure where in the code is specifies what drywall/sheetrock to use on the bathroom ceilings. I thought greenboard or just moisture resistant drywall was the norm. I found out today the local yards do not stock moisture resistant drywall in 5/8" thickness - only 1/2". This puzzles me because there are many builders here, and they surely would have to use 5/8" rock because common building has trusses spaced 2' on center, meaning 1/2" would sag, especially the greenboard 1/2" as it's even more prone to sagging.

Am I just fine to use 5/8" type x (for fire rating) rock on the ceilings in each bathroom? Is it worth driving out of town to get some 5/8" moisture resistant rock?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-15, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
R702.3 covers gypsum application and there is nothing that says it needs to be moisture resistant. Imo, type X is fine.

Old 12-04-15, 08:11 PM
Cool, good to hear that - but now, in terms of longevity and quality... I planned on painting the ceilings after texturing them. Is this the preferred method in bathrooms? Perhaps a smooth surface is suggested over texture to prevent moisture from building in the depths of texture? Is a certain primer or paint required in high moisture area? I do have exhaust fans, but I'd like a product that is not solely dependent on the fan if it were say, broke down or not turned on by accident during a shower.

Old 12-04-15, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Personally, I think all ceilings should be painted flat ceiling white. That being said, bathrooms are often painted with a semi gloss due to the higher humidity and washability. High end interior paints come with mildewicides, so springing for a couple gallons of that is a good idea in a high end bathroom.

Then again, I hate shiny ceilings.

Old 12-05-15, 04:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO it's is always best to use latex enamel on any drywall in a bath rm with a shower! Enamels repell moisture better than flat paints. Eggshell or satin enamel doesn't have a lot of sheen. The sheen level isn't as important as the type of paint. As mentioned a bath paint is formulated for the harsher environment of the bath rm. Latex enamel is minimum - bath paint is better.

Personally I'm not crazy about greenboard as it doesn't paint as well as regular drywall. The same properties that help it repel moisture also make it harder for the primer to get a good bond. Once painted with latex enamel regular drywall has all the moisture protection it needs.