Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Question about what to do with my current shower pan

Old 12-11-15, 11:23 AM

Hi guys. New to the forum but looking for some input on a future bathroom remodel. So here's the situation. My wife and I want to tile our master bathroom shower. I'm not worried about the tiling part but am unsure of what to do about the pan and drain. I don't know the exact rough opening measurements as we haven't torn into it yet but what I am dealing with is a drain that is off-center in the pan. The problem with this is if we were to replace the pan, I don't know where I would be able to find a replacement that would match up with the existing drain. The other issue is the walls of the existing shower insert (not sure exactly what material it is) look to extend from floor to ceiling. So at the floor, there is no "lip" like what I see in most shower pans for sale out there.

Here is a pic to show you what I am working with:

Name:  shower measurements.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  14.0 KB

First question, would it be best to have someone reglaze the pan instead of trying to find a replacement altogether? Or is there a good source on finding an affordable pan that will work for this size shower?

Second, if I go with reglazing the existing pan, will there be a problem running the tile all the way down to the corners (red lines in the picture)?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-15, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! It appears you may have cultured marble pan and walls. If you plan on doing anything like tile, it all most likely will have to be removed, concrete backer installed on the studs and tile laid on them. As for the pan you can construct your own, but it may be that you haven't thought that far ahead. Basically, in order to tile the shower, the walls have to come out.

You'll receive a bunch of good information on the forum, so stay tuned for others' inputs.

Old 12-11-15, 01:02 PM
I think you are right about it being cultured marble. I planned on removing all of that regardless but wasn't sure what could be done, if anything, with the pan. I'll look into constructing my own pan as well. That may be a good option unless I can find a pre-fabbed pan that would line up with the drain. Thank you for the input.

Old 12-11-15, 01:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Last I checked into a custom cultured marble shower floor I had issues with the lack of return lip behind the walls to prevent water seepage and it relied completely on a bead of sealant to keep it watertight. I therefore abandoned the idea all together and heightened my search for a pan that would fit the alcove. I eventually found one.

What type of subfloor do you have? Is it a floor joists system or cement slab? Most shower rebuilds will involve the replacement of the trap and re-positioning of the drain to some extent. So don't sweat the small stuff. In your search for a pan, you also want to include the dimensions of what you have as a curb (or berm and Larry calls it) and search for something to fit the whole area, not just the recessed part.

Old 12-11-15, 04:37 PM
I don't know where I would be able to find a replacement that would match up with the existing drain
This is pretty much impossible. There is one company I know of that makes custom shower pans with the drain in the exact position needed, but they are not affordable, at least not if you have other options.