Oval tub with alcove shower surround

Old 12-12-15, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oval tub with alcove shower surround

I'm redoing a bathroom, and have a question about the tub/shower surround.

If I use an oval tub in an alcove, and build a surround for the shower, isn't water going to collect in the corners?

The three alcove walls would be tight against the tub, but obviously 90 degree alcove corners and an oval tub would leave a space.

So I could tile around the tub, but I'd still have the spots in the corners where water would not be able to drain.

I'm thinking this is a no-go, but thought maybe I'd ask, in case it really isn't a problem.

Only reason I'm even thinking along these lines is I have an old, oval cast iron tub in my basement, figured I'd save a few hundred bucks if I reused it.

Thanks.

Name:  tub surround (1).jpg
Views: 222
Size:  11.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-15, 02:41 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Looks more like a soaking tub, (just a tub with no shower)

Old 12-12-15, 03:13 PM
Yeah, I shouldve been more clear. There will be a shower installed. That's why Id be worried about water accumulating.

Old 12-13-15, 11:25 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Oval Tub

Are not the corners elevated enough to give drainage back to the tub?

Old 12-13-15, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
A stand alone tub with a shower will need a 360 degree shower curtain to protect from splash and water issues outside the shower. It is a little old fashioned, but it is your house, not mine. If you decide to go another route, do not get a drop in type tub get one that is sized for the opening that you can either tile the walls or it comes with a 3 or 5 piece wall kit specifically designed for the tub itself.

Old 12-13-15, 07:11 PM
Thanks, that answers the question.

Just curious, why do you advice against a drop in? Couldn't a drop-in put be in an alcove? The tile surround could lip over the top of the top, allowing water to drain down.

Old 12-13-15, 07:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just curious, why do you advice against a drop in? Couldn't a drop-in put be in an alcove? The tile surround could lip over the top of the top, allowing water to drain down.
No, the tub sits on top of the level of the tile and there is no way for the water to drain anywhere into the tub. Look at some installation drawings of instructions and you will understand.

Old 12-27-15, 11:45 AM
I've looked at some drawings, and I can see what you mean about some of the drop in tubs. But there are others I've found that come with a tile flange and have square corners.

Wouldn't these be acceptable for a shower surround?

Old 12-27-15, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, in my opinion, but shoot us a link to the tub you are considering and we can cross check for you.

Old 12-29-15, 08:43 AM
These are just a couple of the tubs I was looking at. You can get a factory installed tile flange, or do it yourself. I'd pass on the whirlpool jets.

https://www.menards.com/main/bath/ba...48294838108893

Or this one:

https://www.menards.com/main/bath/ba...38068856415510

Old 12-29-15, 02:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those tile flange kits are really nothing more than a bent piece of plastic that sits under the tile. You still rely on a bead of caulk to seal the edge and prevent water from getting behind the tub and into the wall cavity. I think this is fine for a situation where you have a soaking tub only. When you add a shower, the game changes as the area is subject to substantially more water. I personally would not trust a bead of sealant to make my shower water tight. I have see too many instances of caulking failure to ever agree that this would be a good idea. I would alter your search for a tub and look for one designed for an alcove with integral tile flange built in that can not leak under any circumstances.

Old 12-31-15, 08:49 AM
I hear ya.

So basically a drop in tub with integral tile flange is the way to go.

A drop in tub with add-on tile flange is a bit risky.

I haven't had a ton of luck finding a drop in with integral flange that meets my size requirements. I'm sure theyre out there, its just a matter of looking through tons of tubs online to find the right one.

In case you're wondering, my obsession with the drop in has to do with a crooked floor. House is old, jacking isn't in the picture, and I thought it would be easier to build a level platform with a drop in then it would be try to and hide the gap between the floor and tub apron using a standard tub.

On the other hand, after I build up the floor and it's tiled, the height of the floor might hide the gap no the low end, and I could trim the apron on the high end? Floor is probably 1.25" out of level across a 66" tub. I'd barely make it with built up floor.