Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Laminate counter sheets used on walls in a bath?

Old 12-29-15, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We've begun remodeling our very small downstairs bathroom. We had a new tub / shower kit installed and installed green board above the shower walls up to the ceiling.
I am looking for solutions of what to put in that area above the shower walls and the ceiling. (Ceiling height is 8') I don't want to do tile because of the potential mildew growth / grime in the grout. Paint seems to mildew quickly also.

We have installed a higher cfm fan and made sure it vents to the outside.

What about laminate sheets like you would resurface a kitchen counter top with? I've never worked with the material before but seems it would be cut-able, waterproof, easy to clean and comes in many styles. Any reason it wouldn't work?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-15, 10:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 222 Votes on 205 Posts
People will often use laminate wall panels, as described here.

Install Laminate Wall Panels in Your Shower | DoItYourself.com

You can buy them in a variety of styles, colors and textures. And there is always frp, if you want your bathroom to look like the one at the gas station.

Old 12-30-15, 05:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Bath paints have extra mildewcide which helps prevent mildew/mold from growing on the paint. Generally if mold is an issue on the surface it's because the exhaust fan isn't running long enough [if at all] or isn't stout enough to pull out the moisture.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 01-11-16, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My bathroom has this stuff in it. As far as I can tell, it was installed in 1977 (that's the year on the toilet). And now almost 40 years later... it is horrible! It is peeling off in odd spots and I plan on tearing it all down and putting greenback on.

In my opinion (And take it for that), don't do it! Use the appropriate drywall and paint it with bathroom paint. It'll look so much better.