Need extra 1/2" behind new double oven

Old 01-02-16, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need extra 1/2" behind new double oven

Just got a new (new to me) double oven from my sister. Its a very nice convection type double oven that goes into a built in cabinet. Its a Kenmore unit that is only about 6 years old.

I removed by old double oven and the fit is good within the cabinet except I need an extra 1/2" in depth behind the new unit for it to fit. Can I cutout the drywall behind this unit that is at the back side of this built-in cabinet? The wall behind it (the one where I would cutout the drywall) is an interior wall backing up to a hallway area.

I ask for fire code types of reasons. I did not think heat build up is an issue with the current oven appliance issues, but want to check others for input.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-16, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The oven installation manual should give minimum clearance required to combustible surfaces. I'd start with that.

Old 01-02-16, 04:46 PM
I would suggest building a 1/2" thick frame around the oven cutout opening.

I've only had to do this once in about 14 years, but it looked pretty good.

If it's only the electric whip interfering with the depth, I would move the electric box to the manufacturer's suggested location.

Old 01-03-16, 03:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I agree with Brian .... and it shouldn't be that difficult to add a strip around the opening.

Old 01-04-16, 09:29 AM
Guys, thanks for the reply's. I ended up taking out the drywall back there & then fitting in a thin piece of massonite in its place.

That gained me 3/8' of an inch overall. That extra depth is what I needed for the minimum depth called for in the installation guide. Now according to my measurements I have about 1/2" clearance behind the unit. Before I was right up against or just an 1/8" from the back wall.

Issue fixed & the oven works just fine. I guess I now need to cook something big in it & take advantage of all its features. Thanks again.