Seeking Kitchen Cabinet Buying Advice

Old 01-03-16, 01:40 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Seeking Kitchen Cabinet Buying Advice

Just about finished with our refurbish of our rental house. Just one thing left before floor refinishing and that is the kitchen cabinets. Naturally I want high quality cabinets but I want to stay within as low a budget as possible no more than $25000.00 or lower if possible. I have seen online retailers of kitchen cabinets but are they honest and do they do a good job?

After the work is done the house will be sold so I want the best cabinets possible without breaking the bank. I have thought of buying used cabinets and might do that. What I am mainly interested in is any experience with online retailers. I also will not accept fiber board cabinets only plywood cabinets. Thank you for your help!

Old 01-03-16, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Richard, try to keep in the genre of the house itself. You probably wouldn't want to put the cheapest chipboard cabinets in a "show" house, and, conversely, you wouldn't want to spend too much on the cabinets since you are reselling it. $25k is a bunch of money to spend on cabinetry. I am assuming this figure includes countertops, new sink, etc.

Unless the kitchen is a shotgun kitchen, you will most likely need to have custom measurements made and cabinets fit for your design. If it is straight forward in design, then a good quality cabinet such as Kraftmaid would be in order. I agree with solid frames and drawer bodies.

Old 01-03-16, 04:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Go to Lowes or HD or any builders store. They have a good choice. Many different brands. Some used to measure for free but I think that went away. Will have many ideas that you might not of thought about.
I built all my cabinets but went there many times to get ideas.

Old 01-03-16, 06:03 AM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
I agree with Larry. I installed Kraftmaid and am very happy. Went to local bath and kitchen remoddler. I told him I wanted to install cabinets. He told me OK and even checked my measurement for free. Gave me better advice and price than HD or Lowes. Also better choices that HD said I could not do. The best part was the fact that the local took care of all shipping, expediting and problems when delivery got mixed up. When the time came for stone counter tops he made all arrangements but I worked directly with stone mason.

Old 01-03-16, 06:56 AM
There are plenty of good cabinets, I don't need to name a brand.

You should always be able to fill a kitchen with standard cabinets. The cabinets come in 3" increments and you can install fillers. Keep the fillers to a minimum, although some areas will require fillers regardless for clearance issues.

Here's some things to look for:

1/2" Plywood box construction, I don't believe 3/4" ply is necessary
Raised Panel Doors (if budget allows)
3/4" Maple drawer boxes with dovetails and under mount slides
*Blum Tandem slides are very nice. Full extension - heavy duty and self closing.
Adjustable hinges. Some concealed hinges are non-adjustable.

You should be able to get semi high quality cabinets, a stone top and new sink/plumbing fixtures for way below $25K.

*It makes ordering harder, but you can purchase cabinets with unfinished sides. These will be used in the middle of runs and will save you money. The end cabinets only will have finished sides.

Old 01-03-16, 08:41 PM
H
Thank you everyone for your advice I haven't bought cabinets in a very long time over 30 years or so when I last installed the cabinets that are currently in the house. The only people who I trust on the internet as far as cabinets is concerned is right here on this forum. One thing that did concern me is that some people said they wanted all plywood frames but found some fiber board in Kraftmaid cabinets, any truth to those claims? I really don't want a mix like that with fiberboard and plywood if I can avoid it.

Old 01-15-16, 07:06 PM
H
Thank You!

I just wanted to say thank you I just went to Big Orange and I bought some American Wood Mark cabinets. Not near as much as I thought and they had a sale on the upgrade of the cabinets to plywood construction. So thank you for your advice I really appreciate everyone who has responded to my threads.

Old 01-16-16, 08:46 AM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Cabinets

One thing that did concern me is that some people said they wanted all plywood frames but found some fiber board in Kraftmaid cabinets, any truth to those claims?
This manufacturer produces cabinets in several quality levels. Ask a lot of questions and make sure the person you are dealing with is knowledgeable on the subject. Ask to see the Kraftmaid catalogs. Read the construction details. As with anything, good quality costs more. And be prepared for a long lead time when ordering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: