Cultured marble question

Old 01-06-16, 10:45 AM
Cultured marble question

Just had a cultured marble shower installed and now I'm attempting to hang the curtain rod. The wall is too high to go above and a spring loaded one will not work. There is half inch drywall plus 3/8" thick wall so I need to get 7/8" deep to get into the wall. The installer said not to strain the wall and be sure the holes don't bind with the screws. I am thinking molly bolts, but they dig into the wall ( will that hurt the cultured marble? Looked at toggle bolts and such, but they require very large holes to get into the wall. The plastic ones will hardly get thru the drywall and shower wall. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
J

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-16, 03:24 PM
Anchors like below require a smaller hole than a normal toggle bolt.
When tightening, just snug up the screw, no need to get it really tight.

The Hillman Group 1/4 in. x 2-1/2 in. Toggle Straps with Screws (6-Pack)-376260 - The Home Depot

Old 01-06-16, 03:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are companies that make and hang shower curtains from the ceiling. You screw a track into the ceiling and then the curtain hags from chains attached to ball bearings located inside the track. This a representative company that I have used in the past Ceiling Shower Rod.com by TRAX . No drilling into your marble or trying to hand on drywall without wood blocking.

Old 01-06-16, 04:02 PM
How can you have a 3/8" thick wall?
If it was done right there would have been at least 2 X 4, better yet 2 X 6's laying flat inside the walls to attach the screws to.

Old 01-08-16, 11:36 AM
Joecaption: The drywall is 1/2" thick and the cultured marble is 3/8" thick for a combined thickness of 7/8" before I get to the hollow in the wall.

czizzi: Already drilled pilot holes too late for this option.

Handyone: I have every type of hanger I could find including the one you posted. It takes a 1/2" not a 1/4" like homedepots spec'c say. I looked at the store.

Does anyone know if the hollow wall anchors with the little teeth on the face will crack or damage the cultured marble?

Thanks,
J

Old 01-08-16, 01:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You never mentioned why the spring loaded rods will not work.

Old 01-08-16, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know if the hollow wall anchors with the little teeth on the face will crack or damage the cultured marble?
I wouldn't be afraid to use them. I've put them in more fragile material than cultured marble.

The holders do not have to be very tight, so choose a screw size for the anchor that will snug up without taking a lot of effort to screw in.