Average cost to tile a shower

Old 01-07-16, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Average cost to tile a shower

We got some quote from companies that install what amounts to "plastic inserts" into an existing shower area (not sure if we're supposed to name names here). It's basically about a 1/4" of plastic that's shaped on site (but the insets for bottles of shampoo, etc. are done at the factory).

The quoted price ranges from $5300 to $7300, which seems quite high for what's being done.

I'd like to know if anyone could give me just a ballpark figure of what it "should" cost to tile our small shower (up to the ceiling). Here are a couple of pics. The ceiling is 9' up.

http://s1098.photobucket.com/user/hi...1/library/TEMP

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-16, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
Really hard to estimate remotely like this so we normally recommend three or more local bids so you can compare. Have you had anyone bid tilling the stall?

Old 01-07-16, 01:51 PM
We'll probably end up getting some bids to tile the shower. I understand what you're saying. I was primarily asking to see if anyone could tell me if it that price seemed high for these pre-fab shower stalls and if it made more sense to tile it.

Old 01-07-16, 02:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Are you looking turn key? Custom shower pan and walls? Fiberglass base and tile walls? Updates to the plumbing? It really is difficult to judge as there are so many factors. Go to a local tile shop (not box store) and ask for recommendations on some good folks who can be trusted.

Old 01-07-16, 03:41 PM
I'm going out on a limb and say that "most" companies that do the tub and shower relining are nationwide and they charge the same price nationwide. That price could be a deal in some areas and way too much in others. Best to get some quotes on tile.

Old 01-07-16, 04:48 PM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
I would get a reputable tile guy to tile the shower. My guess is that you will get a superior result in both material and appearance for less than 1/4 the cost of the reliner stuff.

Old 01-12-16, 12:51 PM
Sounds like the general consensus is to just get a few people out here to give a quote. Thanks for all of the replies and advice.

Andy

Old 01-12-16, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Its about 5 bucks a sq ft here in NJ.. Thats just labor... Of course you need to buy the tile and grout...

I read that guys on craigs list are doing tile for 1 - 150 a sq ft...

Do a search is all... The internet is your friend...