Enough space to fit tub + toilet?

Old 01-10-16, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Enough space to fit tub + toilet?

So our master bath is made up of two rooms, one with a double vanity and one with a shower stall and toilet. We're trying to figure out if we can redo the shower/toilet area to be a tub + toilet. The dimensions of the area are 72"x55". We'll run a tub the long way (72"). But does that leave enough space to put a toilet next to it?

I'm having trouble figuring out just how much space is required or that these elements would take up. Any advice? Resources?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-16, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Tubs are typically 60" long so that would only leave 12" for the commode - not enough room.

Old 01-10-16, 11:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Yes, 30"x60" for the tub and a comfortable space for a toilet is 30" wide. You also have to make sure that that you have clearance for the door to open.

Old 01-10-16, 10:19 PM
I'm having trouble understanding the math in the two answers. Maybe I went to school before modern math?

A standard tub is about 30" wide, and a toilet area should be at least 30" also. You're supposed to have at least 15" from toilet center to sides. So you can not use a standard 30X60" tub. However, you should be able to get a 54" tub and so it'll work. Sketch it on paper guys.

Jaz

Old 01-11-16, 01:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without knowing where the door is in relation to other elements, all we can do is give you standard sizes. If you want to upload a sketch, it may help. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 01-11-16, 09:33 AM
Great point about a drawing, sorry. And yes, I think my intentions for the space were misunderstood. I think it's the width of the products that will be an issue, not the length of the tub.

Here's a drawing of the room dimensions and then one with how I had hoped to lay it out. Note, the doorway is dashed because it is a pocket door. That doorway is to the sink/vanity area.

Name:  IMG.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  22.6 KB

We had a reputable contractor over recently who seemed to think it was reasonable to fit both the toilet and the bath. I have seen that 30" for a toilet is normal, but is it a requirement (either b/c of code or just necessity to fit)?

Thanks!

Old 01-11-16, 11:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While your drawing should work, that's still a tight fit. My full bath has the commode sandwiched between a wall and cabinet with only a 26.5" width - it's tight but does work. Yours would be even tighter. Any chance of moving a wall to gain more space?

Old 01-11-16, 12:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Couple of points on squeezing both elements in -

I have a good friend who lives in an older house ('68) with the expected powder blue bathroom with walk in shower and blue tile on the walls 1/2 way up all the way around. His toilet sits in a 24" opening recessed with tile wall on both sides. His wife can not even use it as she is fuller figured.

I have another client who had before we remodeled had really tight quarters and was up against a shower door next to the toilet. They hung their wet towels there. So you could not read the Sunday Newspaper without a wet towel on your right arm.

So consider design now, before you begin. If a mobile home tub will work, then I would consider that fact provided the plumbing could be located on what would be the 72" wall and not interfere with the pocket door. Might even be able to look at corner jetted tubs as you would have some width on that wall to work with.

Old 01-11-16, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I violated code to a small degree in my last house and replaced a pedestal sink with a 24" vanity. This put the stool and vanity close enough together that I whacked my funny bone on the sink several times trying to use the stool.

Old 01-11-16, 02:00 PM
I once had a house with a narrow bathroom where a prior Owner had installed a square tub unit with the tub's sump sitting on a diagonal so that it didn't require an entire 5' . . . . similar to this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61428[/ATTACH]

This one is from Kohler; but mine was an American Standard, and measured a square 48" X 48", and worked fine for the 12 years I lived there. There are lots of them to choose from . . . . but not usually on the floor.

Attached Images  
Old 01-11-16, 08:29 PM
Code requires a min. of 30" if you care about such things. The layout in the sketch will not work on two fronts.

The toilet area is too narrow, and the location of the vanity/sink is an even bigger problem.

How wide is the door opening from the "south" wall? Might be able to do this if you can find a very shallow depth wall mounted sink. And of course you'll need to use a 54" tub installed on the "north" wall.

Jaz

Old 01-12-16, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
and the location of the vanity/sink is an even bigger problem
Jaz, the vanity is located in an adjacent room. Toilet and tub only need to fit in this room.

Old 01-12-16, 09:53 AM
All the feedback is much appreciated. And alternatives, like Vermont's suggestion, are great. Another idea we were looking into is a soaking tub (e.g., Kohler's Greek Soaking tub). Like below. Our arrangement would be similar to this photo except without the sink - so just imagine the toilet more centered between tub and far wall.

Name:  Combo.jpg
Views: 1504
Size:  24.4 KB

But I am receiving mixed feedback on the experience of a soaker tub. And there are none at local showrooms so it's hard for my wife and I to guess at the experience (it is just for adults, not our kids).

Old 01-12-16, 11:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IF there is another bath that has a tub, I'd consider just installing a shower since it will take up less room.

Old 01-12-16, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Soaker type tubs are usually quite a bit bigger than traditional tubs. You need to take into consideration the size of your hot water heater or you could easily drain it and run out of hot water before you tub is full. If you have a tankless system, then that issue is no a factor.

Old 01-12-16, 02:44 PM
Sometimes these soaker tubs (and Jacuzzis and Hot Tubs) also need to have the floor joists beneath them reinforced as well.

I've sold some houses where the Buyers remodeled and didn't take that small detail into consideration . . . . and it was harder (and more expensive) to do it afterwards.