Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Dishwasher Installation? Need advice on cabinet removal/replacement

Old 01-11-16, 05:57 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello all! Me and the fiance have decided that no longer do we wish to do dishes by hand. So, we have decided to install a dishwasher. The nice part about this is that under the sink there is already a disposal system with the little port to install a drain for the dishwasher. Meaning, I just need to plug it in and run a line from the hot water, yay!

Now, here is the hard part. The picture below is where we would like to install the dishwasher. One small problem of course. The space of both cabinets is 36 inches exactly. So, I can't remove one I have to remove both. Removing both won't really be the problem. The problem is, what do I do with the 12 inches of space that I will have left over? My thought is to just build a thin cabinet and drawer. However, what will I do about the cabinet door and drawer? It would look a little ridiculous if I have one cabinet and one drawer a different style from everything else.

Ideas? Should I throw out my idea of a thin cabinet and do something else? Ease is the goal here and of course I want to look nice when I am done.

Name:  20160111_203114.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 01-11-16, 06:36 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
From this picture, those drawer fronts look pretty common. I don't think it'd be too odd to have one drawer cabinet. But that's my opinion.

Old 01-11-16, 06:36 PM
The 36" cabinet is one cabinet, not two. You can remove it.

I would place the dishwasher directly to the left of sink base.
This will leave you with a 12" space to the left of DW.

The 12" must be a cabinet. I wouldn't try to make a door and drawer front for this cabinet. I would make a full-height cookie sheet cabinet or similar open cabinet using the wood from the existing 36" cabinet. Any additional wood you need can be easily matched to your cabinets.

Old 01-11-16, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
The cabinets look like the typical ones that lowes, menards, or home depot sells... take a door off and take it with you to the store... if you are lucky you will find one that matches the profile... and buy a 12" drawer cabinet.

You will also want to check the height of the opening from tile to the bottom of your counter... and see if a dishwasher will even fit. If they sat the cabinets on the floor then tiled up to them, you may not have enough room to slide the dishwasher in.

Old 01-12-16, 05:23 AM
I like Sleeper's idea of the 12" Drawer Base. Finding a cabinet with closely matching drawer fronts is easier than trying to match both the doors and drawer fronts.

Old 01-12-16, 05:53 AM
N
Ahhhhhh. So my first initial thought was somewhat correct. I was at least heading in the right direction! The plan was actually to make a 12 inch cabinet and make it a cookie sheet cabinet or something similar. So, to recap; I should install a drawer and cabinet face that are similar to what I have if not exact? We would like to eventually paint or stain all of the cabinets in the future so it might be ok if color is slightly off. As mentioned, I could try to use the previous wood to make the cabinet and drawer fronts but I feel like it might be a slight pain.

Old 01-12-16, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Put the 36" cabinet in your garage... or on a garage sale. Buy a new premade cabinet. You will probably need to lift your countertop an inch or more to get the old cabinet out. Will probably mean disconnecting the sink. If the countertop is glued down, it will be tough. But like I said, measure the height. If its 34 1/2 from tile to bottom of countertop, you're golden. But if its 34" or less, that's trouble.

Old 01-12-16, 07:29 AM
You can see your project is very doable. Here's a few tips:

- Post the height of the dishwasher opening. Measure from the tile floor to the underside of the counter overhang
- Purchase a 12" wide cabinet of your choice, Oak. Finished or unfinished

Before purchasing the cabinet measure the height of the existing face frames, usually 30 or 31". Find a cabinet with the same frame height.

As far as getting the cabinet into the space, there are several ways to do that without lifting the counter and can be figured after receiving the new cabinet.

You might have to work on the electric. Check your under sink receptacle that the disposer uses. See if the duplex receptacle is completely controlled by the switch or if it is half-hot always and half switched.

Old 01-12-16, 08:00 AM
N
As far as the electrical side of things goes, the disposal under the sink is wired directly to the panel in the basement. So, I think I will have to wire an outlet from the panel to under the sink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: