Cutting Laminated Countertop

Old 01-13-16, 08:08 AM
Cutting Laminated Countertop

I am wanting to cut the round corners off a laminated bar top to enable me to use the Wilsonart crescent edge strips. The end of the bar I'm wanting to cut is basically a half circle and I am going to make a half hexagon if you will. I will be able to clamp a fence to guide all the cuts. My biggest concern is chipping the laminate top while getting through the 2'' of solid wood. Any suggestions on saws? Regular circular saw? What Blade? Jig-saw? Router the cuts in passes??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-16, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
The best method would be to rough cut it 1/8" away from your final cut. A down cutting laminate jigsaw blade would be the safest option. Then use a router and flush trim bit along with your guide to give yourself a perfectly smooth and square edge. You will also need some formfill but I assume you have already watched their installation video.

This is kind of funny because I just did the opposite for a customer a couple weeks ago... turned her half octogon into a semi-circle.

Old 01-13-16, 09:41 AM
Ha Ha! That is funny!
So I'm sure you know what works best. This is first time to do anything like this. I tried to bend the crescent edging around it but knew it wasn't going to work. I moved on to Plan B: Install laminate strips the old fashion way. The wife wasn't having it because I had already completed the rest of the counter top with the edging and she wants it to match.

I guess I need to find a trim bit with at-least a 2'' cutting edge?

I don't recall "formfill"in the video that I watched. Is it to cover blemishes?

Old 01-13-16, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
They rub the seam where the edge and laminate meet to fill any gap with something that matches in color.

I said flush trim earlier but I meant 1/2 x 2 straight.

Old 01-13-16, 12:49 PM
You want a top bearing flush trim bit like below, only longer like X said.
I love these bits and you can get some nice smooth edges.

Name:  topbearbit.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  11.1 KB