Resurface/Replace Formica Kitchen Countertops


Old 01-17-16, 06:02 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 486
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Resurface/Replace Formica Kitchen Countertops

Our Kitchen countertops are 1 piece formica....i.e. surface, backsplash, and edging are 1 piece. We've decided to redo just the counters. I've read that you can just do an overlay but I wonder if this is feasible with my current 1 piece set-up. Or should I remove the entire top including the mdf (?) that the formica is attached to and install new mdf and add the formica or just buy a pre-built top?
I've got the tools and like doing DIY.

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 01-17-16 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-16, 06:25 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 23,123
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Yes, you will need to remove the old countertop completely and make new ones... or order new ones if you want a no drip edge or a preformed backsplash.

Laminating new tops is more labor intensive than you might think, and requires very good finish carpentry skills. So if you like a challenge and you're very confident in your abilities, you can make laminate tops and a separate backsplash... otherwise I would suggest you buy preformed and assemble it yourself... which still requires a measure of skill, just not as intensive.
Old 01-17-16, 07:08 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 486
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. I like the one-piece unit...easier to keep clean, especially at the backsplash/countertop corner.
Old 01-17-16, 07:18 AM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,451
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Let us know if you have any mitered corners and how best to get them even, it can be tricky.
Old 01-17-16, 07:24 AM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,438
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Check out a newer far better looking one piece counter that Home Depot is selling.
It has a Roman Ogee edge instead of the dated rounded edges and looks like a stone top.
There is no way to over lay the ones you have.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: