Resurface/Replace Formica Kitchen Countertops

Old 01-17-16, 07:02 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Resurface/Replace Formica Kitchen Countertops

Our Kitchen countertops are 1 piece formica....i.e. surface, backsplash, and edging are 1 piece. We've decided to redo just the counters. I've read that you can just do an overlay but I wonder if this is feasible with my current 1 piece set-up. Or should I remove the entire top including the mdf (?) that the formica is attached to and install new mdf and add the formica or just buy a pre-built top?
I've got the tools and like doing DIY.

Last edited by JIMMIEM; 01-17-16 at 07:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-16, 07:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
Yes, you will need to remove the old countertop completely and make new ones... or order new ones if you want a no drip edge or a preformed backsplash.

Laminating new tops is more labor intensive than you might think, and requires very good finish carpentry skills. So if you like a challenge and you're very confident in your abilities, you can make laminate tops and a separate backsplash... otherwise I would suggest you buy preformed and assemble it yourself... which still requires a measure of skill, just not as intensive.

Old 01-17-16, 08:08 AM
J
Thank you. I like the one-piece unit...easier to keep clean, especially at the backsplash/countertop corner.

Old 01-17-16, 08:18 AM
Let us know if you have any mitered corners and how best to get them even, it can be tricky.

Old 01-17-16, 08:24 AM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
Check out a newer far better looking one piece counter that Home Depot is selling.
It has a Roman Ogee edge instead of the dated rounded edges and looks like a stone top.
There is no way to over lay the ones you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: