How high to go with tile?

Old 01-30-16, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How high to go with tile?

I apologize in advance for not having specific measurements. This is a fixer-up that we've been working on, and we need some suggestions.

We have the kitchen countertop, sink, upper/lower cabinets, and tile. The only thing undecided is the paint color.

We have a window right behind the sink, which is pretty low. Low enough that the molding under the windowsill touches the top of the back of the counter.

We are going to have a long counter, range, and four upper cabinets to the left of the window, while we will have a washer, dryer, and two upper cabinets to the right of the window. The bottom of the cabinets will be about 2 feet above the counter top.

My wife's plan was to lay tile to about 16" above the countertop, continue it all the way to the left, go up higher behind the range, bend around the left side of the range, and then stop at the front of the range. This would allow her about 6"-8" of paint between the tile and cabinets to continue the color.

This plan would mean that there would be no tile under the window, obviously, since there's no room. We would then continue on the right side of the window at the same height to go behind the washer and dryer. She had also picked out a nice border tile to go all along the top of the tiles.

She is now having second thoughts, because the more she looks at pictures on the internet and TV, it seems that everyone is laying the tile all the way up to touch the bottom of the cabinets, which rules out the border and the paint. All you would see is appliances, cabinets and tile on the entire wall.

She's now thinking that instead of going right up to the side molding of the window, maybe stop where the cabinets end (about 6" away from the window) to give room for the paint color around the window.

Hopefully I described it well enough, but if not, I may have to make a picture.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-16, 12:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
It usually is closer to 18" of space between the upper cabinets and the countertop. And yes, the tile usually goes the whole distance. You can all some spark to the tile with the addition of an accent stripe of either glass mosaic or a complimentary tile. I would not use paint to set off a backsplash if tile is being used. Also, remove the wood molding under the window sill and see if there is enough backing to tile under the window for continuity between the left and right sides of the tile. You would tile up to the window side molding, carry the line under the window and then pick it up on the left side touching the window molding there as well. Looks more finished and like it was designed that way.

Old 01-30-16, 03:54 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Not sure how anyone would know without those pictures.