Question about Granite

Old 03-15-16, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about Granite

I just had granite installed for counter top and back splash. It look great until the sun light hit it a few days later. There a a LOT of little pin holes (some bigger than pin holes) all over the granite. It was sealed after they installed the granite. Is this common? Is there any thing I can do? I have complained to installer but he says it happens. .If wrong forum,please direct to right forum. Any help welcome

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-16, 05:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't have sealed it but that has nothing to do with the pin holes. I have only dealt with granite floors & have never seen that. I imagine that there are different qualities of granite. Since you are in NY, Astoria Tile & Marble maybe able to help. You might want to call them.

Old 03-15-16, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Granite is a fairly porous rock, I would not be surprised to be able to see pin holes.

Old 03-15-16, 06:54 PM
What tony said, it can be hidden more or less effectively but if you take a magnifying glass to any piece of granite you'll see it.

Old 03-15-16, 07:09 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
Responses are correct. If you happen to have direct sunlight hit your counter tops then I'm not surprised you might see crevices or pin holes. The sealing should help. Rule number one, never spill or leave any oily substance (butter, for instance) on a stone counter top. Just how bad is the pin holes? Can you seen them at a glance? Will they show up in a photo? You might be just a tad too critical. I'll bet after a few weeks you won't notice them.

Old 03-16-16, 07:34 AM
I'm not a granite expert but work with the fabricator and installers closely on kitchen jobs.
Off the top of my head I would say you received a bad slab, I know most of my customers would find the surface unacceptable given the price they pay.

It's maybe not too late, but if you wanted perfection, Sensa granite would have been a good choice. The Sensa is pre-sealed with a permanent sealer and has a very nice finish.

I would talk to the contractor and see if they can duplicate the Sensa sealing process in the home.
They will know the different sealing products available, one is SenGuard and should give the same results as factory pre-sealed.

Old 03-16-16, 09:11 AM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
I agree with Handyone. I have granite counter tops in two kitchens and I do not have the pitting that you described although I saw plenty of that when we were shopping for our counter tops. Our installer actually took us to a huge granite warehouse where we selected our slab from hundreds on display.

I don't think a regular granite sealer will solve your problem. It's mostly water with some additive (anyone know what it is) and it is too thin to fill even tiny cavities.

Old 03-16-16, 06:58 PM
We had dealt with this company and even recommended him for other jobs. The cost of this granite was a lot more than going to Lowes (HD)or many other places. I had it installed and did not notice the pin holes until the sun light shined on the slab.When we inspected and mapped out the slab we did not notice these pin holes. No one that I have spoke to other than dealers even knew granite can have tiny pins holes. All customers ar told of color variations and different imperfections. No customers that I know of were ever told about the possibility of pin holes. If it was only a few I probably would not mind so much,but that is not the case.
As far as not noticing in a few week,I do not think so.With the sun light shinning on the sink and the granite it would be hard for me but my wife forget it. I have enclosed a few pictures and the pin holes show up as black dots.It is very hard to get pictures. The eye can see them but the camera does not capture as many as the eye can see. the granite slab was called ASTORIA and came from Brazil or Argentina,I believe.

Attached Images       
Old 03-16-16, 07:29 PM
Just by looking at the sink cutout and the edge detail, I can tell this counter was not fabricated by fly by night installers, it's quality.
From my experience disagreements in the level of quality can be difficult. You say you can't live with it, they say it's great.

IMO it boils down to the level of commitment of the company. Are they willing to take a loss and replace this? There are some companies that will do whatever it takes to make customers happy but they're rare and the complaint has to be reasonable.

Old 03-17-16, 05:06 AM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
I agree it seems a bit excessive but I have seen similar. Again it's not uncommon. Most people don't see it because seldom direct sunlight hits it as your does. I think a better job of polishing might have been made. I agree with Brian. In this case I would hope the company would offer some kind of compensation if not a replacement.