Do I need to replace this bathroom tile backing

Old 03-21-16, 07:42 PM
Unhappy Do I need to replace this bathroom tile backing

Found some water leaking into a room adjacent to the bathtub and found it was coming through a loose bathtub tile (or two). I removed several of them and this is what I see. Can I just re-tile, or will I need to rip it all out and use cement board backing. Hoping to avoid a big job here, but also don't want something that will fail quickly. Thanks, you all are the best

Full size image here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...hrubtiling.jpg

Also, a few other tiles have hairline cracks in them, do they need to be replaced as well? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-16, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The holes where the stud can be seen is not good.
Is that just sheetrock behind the missing tiles ? Not much was holding those tiles on.

Name:  bathrubtiling.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  33.1 KB

Old 03-21-16, 07:53 PM
It looked like there was a very thin layer of thinset that came off with the top layer of paper. What would I use to cover that hole? Another piece of drywall?

Old 03-21-16, 07:56 PM
And yeah, I think it is regular drywall unfortunately. House was built in 1981. Not sure if that's the original tile or not. Most of the wall looks very good still. Bottom layer it questionable in some places.

Old 03-21-16, 08:11 PM
Sorry but everything needs to come out to the studs.
Old Galvinized plumbing needs to go, new control valve.
There is just no patch it up and move on in this one to do it right.

Old 03-22-16, 07:48 PM
I ripped 3 rows of tiles and saw this. Yikes!

I ripped out the greenboard and drywall behind it.

Do I need to rip out another few rows based on the top photo, or did I remove enough?

Also, here is a close up shot of the control valve.

Only the bath faucet pipe and shower pipe are galvanized steel. Based on the looks of this photo, does the control valve need to be replaced? I'll research how difficult a task that is. I really appreciate the help you guys have offered up to this point. Very valuable information. Thanks!

Old 03-23-16, 03:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You are fortunate to not have the damage any higher up on the wall. I can't advocate leaving the sheetrock as a substrate in the wet area, but it seems you want to just repair the moldy part. Put 6 mil plastic over the area attached to the studs, allowing it to flop inside the tub a few inches. Then install 1/2" Durock on the affected area allowing it to sit on top of the tub rim, seal the seams and apply your tile. Your tile will cover the gap between the cbu and the top of the tub.

As far as the control valve, yeah, a single control with today's advantages (scald protection, etc.) would be in order, but not absolutely necessary.

Old 03-23-16, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
You're likely to have difficulty matching the tiles you removed to the rest of the wall. I vote for ripping it all out and doing it right as well.