Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Relocating kitchen cabinets with granite counters

Old 05-07-16, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We need to purchases a new fridge, but new fridge sizes are deeper than our existing fridge. A deeper fridge (even a counter-depth fridge) will overlap an already narrow entry to our laundry room. My kitchen layout leaves us a large empty wall. The wall would be large enough to house a fridge, but then the fridge would be in an awkward proximity to the stove and sink. My solution is to relocate the upper and lower cabinets, and granite counter top currently next to the existing fridge to the empty wall. Then purchase some pantry cabinets to help move the new fridge further down the wall and away from the laundry door. How hard will it be to relocate the lower cabinets and counter? Can we leave the counter attached to the cabinets for the move, or will we need to uninstall/reinstall the granite?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-16, 08:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I would doubt you could leave the countertop attached when moving the cabinet but pictures would sure help us to see what you are seeing. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-07-16, 09:14 AM
Exactly what I would say. In this case a floor plan would help, a simple sketch will do.
There are many ways to reconfigure cabinets. You're not alone in wanting to move a fridge to a better location.

Old 05-07-16, 10:22 AM
The fridge wall is 10 feet and the empty wall (coffee station wall) is a little longer than 8 feet. The cabinet section I want to move is 6 feet. I would buy 4 18-inch-wide pantry cabinets with the new fridge, placing two cabinets on either side of the new fridge.

Name:  0507161252-640x360.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  17.8 KB
Name:  0507161255-640x360.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  28.3 KB

Old 05-07-16, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.

A concern would be if the countertop back splash was glued to the wall.
If it wasn't... the entire unit should be able to be moved in one piece.

Just thinking out loud..... remove the countertop. Have it cut in half. Move the two left hand base cabinets and the left two upper cabinets to the left and put the fridge in the middle.

Name:  pj_render.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  29.6 KB
Probably need a custom cabinet for over the fridge.

Old 05-07-16, 10:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
My solution is to relocate the upper and lower cabinets, and granite counter top currently next to the existing fridge to the empty wall.
IMO it might make more sense to leave the cabinets where they are and put a pantry where the old fridge is now. (use fillers on both sides to meet the existing cabinets and to space the doors away from the wall and casing) Move the fridge to the new wall with a new cabinet on one side or the other.

Old 05-07-16, 10:40 AM
I did consider that, but then the refrigerator would be far from the stove and sink. Also, there is no water line on the shorter wall for the ice maker.

Old 05-07-16, 10:43 AM
If the backsplash is glued, is the concern just related to the cosmetics of the wall?

Old 05-07-16, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
You will definitely need to disassemble it all. I was thinking exactly the same thing as Pete, he just beat me to it. yes, assuming you dont break it, the backsplash will tear the drywall paper off, but that can be repaired.

Old 05-07-16, 10:49 AM
Dividing the existing cabinets is definitely a good idea, and one I hadn't considered. Getti,g the counter top makes me nervous. Also, few extra cabinets would be a huge help with storage. So if I did divide them, I may still install pantry cabinets on the other wall.

Last edited by Leslie Hughan; 05-07-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-07-16, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Call the granite Stores near you and se if they can cut the top for you. will be a pro cut. tops are very heavy.

Old 05-07-16, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
The cabinet over the fridge would not be custom sized, they are standard. You wouldn't be the first person with that configuration.

Old 05-07-16, 01:11 PM
Refrigerator cabinets are generally available in the following heights:
(36" wide) 12,15,18,21,24 You can get finished or unfinished cabinets.

Be aware that a 36" fridge measures 35.5", so it will be a tight fit. You might want to order a filler also.

Old 05-07-16, 01:39 PM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
I can't add too much more than the others already have. But I had to relocate cupboards and cabinets and granite counter top due to a new fridge being just a tad too big. But my situation only entailed one side cabinet and two over head cabinets. But I did call in a pro to properly cut the counter top. Don't try to move it all in one and do call in a pro to relocate and affix the granite.

Also when you get a new cabinet for over the fridge, do not let them tell you that you can't have it over the full depth of the fridge. You can and it does not require a side panel for securing it. May not seem like it in the pic but that cabinet is a full 24" depth.

See attached photo

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg