Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Want to build a new walk in shower...couple of questions

Old 06-08-16, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,

this may be a dumb question and I think I already know the answer. I want to replace my existing pre-fab (ie leaky piece of crap) shower with a nice, tiled walk in. Problem is, the footprint for the new shower will extend onto the existing tile. Do I need to remove the tile under the new shower or can I just level it out? If I do remove it, how is the best way to do so without destroying the rest of the floor?

It's a tiny bathroom and the tiles are 18". I can't see a way to make it work removing whole tiles, I'll need to make a cut about 3/4 through one row.

Also, I will need to move the fixtures about 3 feet from their current location. Can I do this with flexible water line or do I need to get a plumber to move the metal pipes?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-16, 08:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
The shower floor needs a continuous pan under it; either rigid [plastic/metal] or rubber. Not sure that can be done without removing tile. You don't want flexible lines in the wall! What type of plumbing do you have? copper, pex, something else?

Old 06-08-16, 08:05 AM
Thanks!

The water lines are copper.

I knew about the pan part, will get someone to do that for me. Was just wondering about how to handle the tile. Any ideas about how to remove it?

Old 06-08-16, 10:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 12 Posts
A pre formed shower pan would fit on top of the tile. The pan is set in a mortar bed that would compensate for the tile thickness. The drain pipe might have to be adjusted. The other option is to mark the footprint of the shower pan on the existing tile and then cut the tile at the mark. The excess tile could then be removed without damaging the rest. Tile is usually removed with elbow grease - hammer and chisel or a handy bar w/safety glasses and a long sleeve shirt.

The existing copper pipes could be replaced with PEX. It has some flexibility.

Old 06-09-16, 04:58 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Diamond blade on a rotozip with shopvac running will cut the tile. Will kick up a lot of dust, so make sure the shop vac is held directly behind the blade. Then chisel out the unwanted tile.

I would have a plumber move the supply and drain for the vanity to better reflect where the new fixture will be located.

Old 06-09-16, 08:21 AM
Thank you!! I need to get a rotozip, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I actually managed to find a two sided glass enclosure that will work for the limited amount of space that I have, that way I don't have to frame in the third side (old unit is a round, corner shower). I shouldn't have to move the fixtures, either.

Old 06-09-16, 12:45 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
They make it look so easy....eye protection, dust mask, shop vac running, door closed and sealed with masking tape. If you have a window in the bathroom, a box fan pointing out during operations will help manage dust.

Name:  ROTOZIP-B000WP6HGO-3-sm.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  15.7 KB