Reattaching backsplash mosaic tiles to mesh?

Old 07-12-16, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reattaching backsplash mosaic tiles to mesh?

Hi,

Found a mesh-backed mosaic tile that we like and want to use for a kitchen backsplash. However, we want to rearrange some of the individual tiles on the mesh sheets. What sort of adhesive should be used when reattaching the tiles to the acrylic mesh?

I've read some things stating that PVA and EVA glues are combined to adhere the tile to mesh when they are manufactured, but I'd like confirmation of this. Also, if anyone is familiar with this sort of adhesive, I'd greatly appreciate your suggestions brand/name wise.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-16, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
The idea of the mesh is to save the labor of individually placing the tiles. If you're going to remove or relocate tiles I would not go to the trouble of reattaching them to the mesh. I'd just install the removed tiles when you set the tile on the wall.

I've seen different types of glues used to adhere tile to the mesh. Some are waterproof or at least resistant while others are very water soluble. If you want to stick your tiles back on I'd be tempted to use a few dabs of anything I had on hand. You don't want to coat the back of the tile with glue as that will prevent the thinset from adhering. Just use a dab or two on the back of the tile or smear some glue on the mesh.