Help with shower options odd space

Old 09-20-16, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with shower options odd space

Attached is the corner of my basement bathroom I am finishing out. I was looking for shower's to put in there to fit that area and the drain seems to be giving me the biggest problem.
It seems not a whole lot of options for this layout besides a 4ft wide shower. I thought about a 60 inch shower but then I would walk into the bathroom (the direction im facing and there would be a wall there where the shower would be and it would look odd.
Also, I DONT want to bust concrete at all I think I can if needed re-route the shower drain by elevating the base on a sturdy 2x4 platform to give me the necessary 3 or so inches it would requite to route the drain from the shower location to the hole in the floor.

Any suggestions on what could be put in the space in an easy-ish fashion?Name:  20160920_162917.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  35.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-16, 03:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You may as well get your concrete breaking clothes on. The drain you have in all probability is a 1 1/2" tub drain, and you will need a 2" for the shower. Knowing that, you could feasibly put the drain anywhere you wanted

Old 09-20-16, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
When you consider that you will be living with the bathroom for a long time I would suck it up and build what you want. You likely will not have to move the drain far so you might not have to take out much concrete. And, it's really not that bad a job. It's out of sight you you can be fast and sloppy.

Old 09-20-16, 09:19 PM
Well this bathroom is being finished so i can sell the house. And im sticking to my guns about breaking up the concrete sorry
Also its a 2" outlet pipe in the floor, not a 1.5
I suppose ill just raise the shower stall a few inches on treated lumber with an OSB top to get enough room to route the drain line into the hole. Seems like no other options at this time. Time will tell if someone else responds

Old 09-21-16, 03:08 AM
We'll wait on someone to give blessings to your plan. I am glad it is a 2" drain. Breaking up the concrete to the left of the drain to put it more in the center of the shower unit would not be a big deal, but you have your priorities. Good luck with the project.

Old 09-21-16, 06:04 AM
Received 10 Votes on 9 Posts
Where are you going to put the trap? A 2X4 platform probably won't give you the clearance you need.

I'm not sure I understand why you don't want to break a few inches of concrete. That seems like less work than futzing around building a platform.

Old 09-21-16, 12:11 PM
You know, my dad's old house had a real tiny shower in the basement not unlike this, and it took up most of the bathroom it was in. Raising the shower itself is probably your best bet, but let me ask this - is anything else going in this bathroom? My dad's house, oddly enough, just had a sink and shower (no toilet) and I didn't know if you were going to try to work anything else in there.

Old 09-21-16, 03:14 PM
For clarification please watch the quick video I made. Maybe this will explain things a little better?

https://youtu.be/K-B0QL29onE

Old 09-21-16, 03:16 PM
You Tube is "processing" your video.

Old 09-21-16, 03:54 PM
I guess I did not hit the "done button" sorry

Old 09-21-16, 05:01 PM
As far as the slab goes, I was suggesting cutting in the other direction to place the trap and drain more in the corner. If facing the back wall of the bathroom, to the right and back somewhat. I am not a fan of raised anything in a bathroom, and would opt for moving the trap back into the quadrant just for normalcy. Thanks for the video. It helped see all the bathroom.