Kitchen sink/cabinet sizing

Old 10-12-16, 06:31 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Kitchen sink/cabinet sizing

Hi,

We're planning our cabinets for our new kitchen and have some sink size questions.

The sink base is 33". We'd like the largest sink possible so are looking at undermount sinks with a 32" width. Will they fit in a 33" sink base or is more clearance needed?

Also, we're considering a farm sink. How do we size that to the 33" base? BTW - are farm sinks going out of style?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by syakoban; 10-12-16 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 08:00 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If at all possible I would try to install a 36W sink base cabinet, sometimes it can't be done.

A standard sink is 22 x 33. They will fit in a 33" cabinet, but the upper cabinet sides need cut out to a depth of 10" or so. Cutting out the upper cabinet sides doesn't harm the cabinet, but the undermount hardware will be inaccessible.
The sink is attached before the counter is laid down. This isn't ideal but the only other option is a smaller sink.

Old 10-12-16, 08:08 AM
S
Thanks Brian. Stuck w/the 33" sink base. How much clearance is needed to not have to cut down the cabinet sides?

Old 10-12-16, 08:38 AM
I would recommend cutting the cabinet sides and using a standard sink, it gives you the most flexibility. If you are using professional counter top installers, they are used to making a sink fit.

The key is to ensure the sink is securely mounted. Solid surface sinks are integrated into the top and are very secure.
If you have stone and an undermount sink, the proper sink clamps must be used in addition to the silicone.
The only issue with fitting the sink is to ensure the counter guys secure it properly.

Old 10-13-16, 03:25 PM
S
I'm not touching counter tops at all - the pros will put in quartz w/a stainless sink. I've heard of glued and I've seen inserts w/screws and brackets. Glue only sounds scary but drilling and/or slotting the stone feels like it would weaken it. Any concerns I should consider?

Old 10-13-16, 05:32 PM
They won't drill for inserts. They will use epoxy clips with wingnuts.
With quartz (and some other stones), there's an option to just mount the sink on top of the plywood underlayment, no clips.
The undermount flange will be sandwiched between the quartz and the plywood.

Old 10-14-16, 09:58 AM
S
Interesting thanks. We'll look into that.

Old 10-14-16, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
BTW - are farm sinks going out of style?
They've been around for a long, long time and will probably never go out of style. Some people like them and some don't, so if you like them, they're not outdated at all.

Old 10-14-16, 10:28 AM
Farm sinks look very nice, but standard sink base cabinets must be altered to install them in most cases. I haven't installed a farm specific sink cabinet.
To give you a rough idea, you need about 8 to 9" between the top of the finished counter surface and the top of the doors.
This is usually doable with standard cabinets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: