Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Which solid surface shower kit is refinish able? Sandable polishable for a DIY.

Old 11-08-16, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I'm researching different solid surface shower DIY kits, and one of the requirements I need is for the surface to be refinish able. I thought the Onyx collection was, but the website says it has a surface sealer and does not state it can be refinished. Same with cultured marble.. I'm disappointed, because Onyx has a 54" x 36" shower receptor which is close to the 57" width of my bathroom, but I'm glad I learned this fact before I pursued it.

Can anyone add or subtract from my list of manufactures who make S.S. shower kits which can be refinished? Iv heard Corian, Avonite, Wilsonart, Staron, LG Hauseys, Livingstone can be refinished are are solid acrylic or polyester sheet with an aluminum tryhydrate filler.. But not all of these are designed for a DIY homeowner, nor do some of them deal to a DIY consumer or offer a complete kit..

I'm prepared to pay for longevity, but with so many different choices, its hard to make a decision.

Does anyone have first hand experience or suggestions regarding refinish-able S.S. shower kits?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-16, 01:08 PM
The only renewable material I know of is Corian and copies such as Hi-Macs. It can be sanded and buffed to look like new. The installers/fabricators that I work with can't tell the material apart.
Stone should only need cleaning.
Corian and most other SS must be installed by certified personnel, you can't buy the sheets or the epoxy.
Don't quote me, but I believe Formica is the only solid surface manufacturer that will sell material and color matching epoxy without factory training.

Old 11-08-16, 03:05 PM
I believe Formica is the only solid surface manufacturer that will sell material and color matching epoxy without factory training.

Wow.. That's what I feared. To me solid surface looks easier to install than tile.

I bought three kerdi shower kits and planned on installing tile showers / floors. But after reading the "tile your world" book and reading about people with failures and regretting the cleaning of tile/grout shower floors. I now realize there are so many ways to install shower tile the wrong way and I'm reluctant to try because I have no experience and even less time since I live alone now. I found a great local tile setter, but he didn't want to use epoxy grout and stopped communicating with me.

So now I'm left with cheesy box store fiberglass shower enclosures only?

Like I mentioned.. I'm ready to spend money for a system that can be renewed. A complete system, like the fiberglass systems, but in acrylic is all I want. Anything that fits in a 57" space.

Old 11-08-16, 03:36 PM
Formica....
Wow.. That's what I feared. To me solid surface looks easier to install than tile.
Don't confuse Formica solid surface with Formica laminate. The solid surface material will look as good as any material and last as long. It's a matter of getting your hands on it.
You also need the tools to fabricate. 3/4 HP Router, sander, buffer, many spring clamps and a mixing type caulk gun.
Personally I would pay for install and get the warranty.

Old 11-09-16, 07:03 AM
I just received a call back from Avonite regarding a complete DIY kit for the 42 Neo angle shower. They do sell to the public and are emailing more information.

From what Im told , Avonite is a solid 1/4" acrylic sheet with an aluminum tryhydrate filler which is renewable.

Name:  Avonite shower.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  25.1 KB

Old 11-09-16, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
FWIW, I've purchased SS materials from solidsurface.com. Also had them fabricate a custom Corian vanity top for me. If you can use something from their overstock page you can save some $$.

Old 11-09-16, 07:53 AM
FWIW, I've purchased SS materials from solidsurface.com.
This is very good for the DIY'er. I had no idea sellers like this existed.

The tools required to fabricate and install aren't that expensive and the material machines well, hardest part is buffing with no swirl marks.
This is a huge money saver.

Old 11-09-16, 10:00 AM
solidsurface.com is OK.. But they don't sell shower receptors/bases.
Plus, the prices Scott Neubauer at Jaeckle Distributors just sent me for Avonite are lower than solidsurface.com.

I might as well buy from a distributor who can sell me everything.