Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

bath shelf - next to shower - pulled up, help appreciated

bath shelf - next to shower - pulled up, help appreciated

Old 11-19-16, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question bath shelf - next to shower - pulled up, help appreciated

There was mouldy plywood, followed by mouldy 2x1 fitted underneath. (underneath two layers of broken tiles because of the blown out / non treated plywood, no tile backing board). The two previous tilers caused this mess, claimed they couldn't get the plywood wood out without taking down the walls. So i did it myself.

After some research it seems i would need to drop in some treated plywood then some tile backer board, then tile back over the top.

I have got replacement tiles / grout already.
Name:  20161119_092124.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  19.3 KB

I was hoping someone might have better solutions / instructions for me. I was looking at maybe something else instead of tiles, but not much joy in finding something sensible.

Gets wet regularly.

it's 310mm by 1285mm

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-16, 04:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Pressure treated plywood and backer board will help but neither is a waterproof layer and tile grout is not waterproof so it's likely moisture or liquid water will still get through to the wood framing or floor. There are paint on waterproof membranes you could apply. You could also install a sheet/slab of something instead of using tile. Something like Corian, granite, quarts or some other solid surface could look nice and would provide a continuous, waterproof surface.

Old 11-19-16, 04:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Your profile is not complete so we don't know where you are located. This is a poor way of installing a tub. No real use for the ledge except to collect water. I also note it is not used as a shower, which is good. The entire ledge would need to tilt toward the tub for drainage. This can be accomplished by shimming your plywood and cbu. Using redgard on the cbu after installation will help with water infiltration, but don't get it on the adjacent tiles or sheetrock. It is pretty sticky. Not sure how you will address the lower edges of the wall tiles. Can they be smoothed out? You should use a siliconized caulk around the perimeter once the tiles have been set and grouted, again, to prevent water infiltration.

Old 11-19-16, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is a very poor tile job, can't see anything that was done right including the lower left hand corner. Your proposing of treated plywood is wrong too. We do not use treated lumber indoors, plus it would do nothing to stop water. Water isn't supposed to get to the plywood in the first place.

By the looks of how it's done and the condition of the wall tiles, it's best to rip it out and do it right.

If you'd rather wait to remodel and just patch it up temporarily, let us know, we'll try to help.

Jaz