Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

fixing cracks in grout on shower wall, best for temporary fix

Old 01-08-17, 04:10 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I recently hired a company to remodel both of my showers, but now after a month of them not responding to inquiries of when I can expect them to start the job, I need a temporary fix of at least 1 shower until I can find another company. I have various cracks in the grout of the shower tile and want something to fill the cracks so I can at least shower in their. what is the best product to use to fill the cracks that will hold up. here are some pics of what I need filledName:  qaazz.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  13.9 KBName:  qazqqq.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  15.3 KB

Old 01-08-17, 04:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will need to remove the offending grout in order to have the replacement grout a place to live. Using a grout saw, you can remove some of it and just replace it with a color coordinated non sanded grout. Once you put the grout in, I like to use the back of a toothbrush to strike off the joint to give it a little indention. Clean it up and polish it with a dry towel. Hopefully you will be able to locate your remodeler soon. QEP Handheld Grout Saw for Cleaning, Stripping and Removing Grout-10012Q - The Home Depot

Old 01-08-17, 04:31 AM
C
thanks for the reply. there isn't anything I can just rub over the area to fill it as a temp fix? something that will hold for a month at most

Old 01-08-17, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
If you are really truly going to get it re-done by a contractor, you could use a color matched caulk. Don't try and use sanded, just get as close a color as you can find in the tile section. Use 100% silicone if they have it or a siliconized acrylic as a last resort. This is ONLY a temporary fix, 2-3 months max. Check for shrinkage and re-do if needed after 24 hrs. Allow 24 hrs after application before use.

I gotta say, even if sloped correctly that's a dumb type of tile to use there. The water will just run off the edge and follow the tile surface around right to the joint.

Oh, and really cheap way if looks don't matter. Attache a garbage bag over the entire area with duct tape. Shoot, you could probably use duct tape alone.

Old 01-08-17, 04:19 PM
C
when I bought the house in 2008, it has been like this. this is my spare shower that isn't ever used. happened to use it now as my master bath was doing the same. yes just need something temporary as I am gonna find another company to do the remodel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: