Avoiding water damage in dishwasher end panel

Old 03-04-17, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Avoiding water damage in dishwasher end panel

I'm redoing the countertops in the kitchen, and while I'm at it, I'm replacing the dishwasher end board. It seems to have taken water damage over the years (pic attached). I'm wondering how to avoid this damage going forward (clear coat? Raise it on a plastic footing, treat the bottom with something???)

The board I'm putting in comes from Lowes and is a premade board. I'll likley have to cut it and level it, as I doubt the floor is perfectly square with the wall.

Name:  dishwasherendboard.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  12.5 KB

Thanks,
John

Last edited by julvr; 03-04-17 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Forgot to add picture...
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-17, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
The way to avoid water damage to wood on the floor is to avoid water leaks.
Any wood exposed to water is going to rot.

Is this dishwasher leaking ?

Old 03-04-17, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is probably just splashing water damage and not much can be done IMO other than wiping down the area after loading and unloading the dishwasher. The wood/MDF can take a little water exposure, but not for long periods.
I would use a tiny bead of clear silicone around the bottom to seal the end 'grain'. The bottom end of the panel will absorb water easier than the sides.

Old 03-04-17, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I have my dishwasher elevated and installed in the cabinetry so it's surrounded on all sides by wood and still have no damage from "splashing". I would seriously look for some leakage. It might not be enough to make a puddle out on the floor but enough is getting out to damage your cabinetry. Try laying a paper towel across the front of your machine the next time you run it. Tear the paper towel where it meets the feet so you can get the towel well underneath. You might find a few drops leaking during each cycle or it may be dripping when you open the door to unload after the wash cycle. Either way you should not have any water on the floor.