Tile up to the ceiling in a small bathroom?

Old 03-12-17, 01:58 PM
Tile up to the ceiling in a small bathroom?

I like this remodel of my bathroom (done for another apartment). But some contractors are strongly suggesting tiling up to the ceiling in the shower area.

My feeling is that when the shower curtain is closed it will look awkward for the wall above the medicine cabinet to be cut off by a different surface. Since the shower is used much less than the bath, I was wondering how important it really is to tile up to the ceiling in the shower area. Will be grateful for any thoughts from DIYers.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-17, 02:16 PM
I's not critical. the water from shower head is pointed down and nothing much will splash above.

I have two shower/tub units that I added tile up to the ceiling so its a personal preference, do what YOU want!

Old 03-12-17, 04:26 PM
I dis-agree with Marq. Although it's not critical, I would always tile to then ceiling. It's a good barrier for any moisture be it water or steam. And in my opinion it looks better.

Old 03-12-17, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
And I agree with Marq - Roughly 95% of bathrooms DO NOT have tile to the ceiling. A good coat of paint is all that is needed. This is a personal choice as to whether you like the look or not.

Old 03-13-17, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It all boils down to personal taste along with the design of the bath rm. IMO some bath designs are better suited for one over the other. Be sure to use latex enamel on the walls/ceiling, preferably a bath enamel.

Old 03-13-17, 04:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One thing to remember is if your walls and tile job aren't perfect, you will have aberrations at the top. Gap too small, gap too large. It will look worse than leaving it short. You can always install tile crown at the top to hide the gaps, but unless you really need to, I say leave it at 6 or 7 feet, cap it with bull nose or other decorative edging and let it go.