Incorrect contractor work

Old 03-24-17, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Incorrect contractor work

We hired a contractor to replace our kitchen counter with a new granite counter. We made sure to confirm the type of edge we wanted (bevelled) and the type of sink we wanted (60/40) along with where the faucet and soap dispenser should be. When we went to the house to take a look, they had put in the wrong sink (50/50), the edges weren't bevelled, and the countertop placement left a noticeably larger gap on the right of the stove (1.75") vs the left (0.5"). We clearly are not happy about this, and was told by the contractor that this new 50/50 sink is actually more expensive than the one we ordered (& confirmed with them on the day of), so we should be happy with it. As well, they said having bevelled edges is worse than having the rounded straight edge that was installed because it's not as comfortable to lean on. I feel like they are just trying to justify their mistakes and not wanting to correct it. Do we have a right to not only have them correct their work, but to be compensated monetarily for the inconvenience of delaying our move-in and having to clean-up again due to their mistake?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-17, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I understand your frustration. It sounds like they incorrectly built your new countertop.
Did you have a contract with the specs of that new countertop on it ?

They should be held completely responsible for all replacement costs but, in my opinion, I doubt any additional monies are warranted to be paid to you.

Old 03-24-17, 12:55 PM
I see a lot of granite installs. Just a few points:
Roundover edge is more expensive than beveled and I personally like it better.
There usually is only small gaps at the side of the range. A 30" range fits in a 30" opening, appliances are undersized a little.
They made a mistake on the sink and they need to fix it (unlikely) or replace the counter.

The last time I had conflict on a sink, the company I sub for gave the customer at least a $500 credit, maybe more. That was with keeping the sink as is.

Old 03-24-17, 01:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 4 Posts
It's their mistake & they are responsible for the corrections. However, unless the specifics were in the contract, there may be issues with "he said, she said".

But, I would not pay him..... even one red cent.... until the corrections are made at his expense.

As for compensation on time delays, again, unless its in a contract, that is something a court will have to work out unless the contractor just agrees to do that on his own to keep down any bad reviews &/or satisfy a customer etc.

I can tell you that, this is my practice from experience. I went through the 2016 flood & a complete home remodel. Before it was all over with, I fired three contractors & with-held partial payment from 2 contractors.
Actually, related to your case, there is still an outstanding balance of about $1200 on counter top work that hasn't been paid due to incorrect caulking behind the sink.
The work was done in Sept 2016. All they have to do is come correct the caulking & I'll send the remaining payment. Since they haven't billed me since November, I am assuming they will write off that balance. That's fine with me. If they don't fix it, after a year or so, I'll hire another company to come in & do the repairs for a $100 & its all good.

They also put down flooring in Aug throughout the entire home, but they didn't put down the "transitions" or thresholds between the hall & bathroom or the master bath & the bedroom. I with-held 50% of those funds until it was finally completed in either Oct or Nov. At that time I paid the invoice & was happy. They do excellent work... just excellent work & I am very happy with what they completed, but its not fully completed, so its not fully paid.

At the end of the day, do NOT pay them until the job is completed as agreed upon, and do not pay them for the extra work. You had an agreement to pay "X" amount for "this" work. That's all you need to pay them. If they do not complete the job, do not pay for work not completed.

Old 03-24-17, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Not sure where you are located as you note Non-Us in your tag line. This is a US based website so certain specs may be different if you are not domestic. Care to tell us where you are located?

Old 03-24-17, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
The member is located in Canada.

Old 03-24-17, 05:35 PM
there is still an outstanding balance of about $1200 on counter top work that hasn't been paid due to incorrect caulking behind the sink.
The work was done in Sept 2016. All they have to do is come correct the caulking & I'll send the remaining payment
Dixie put everything well. Once you tell them don't expect payment, they will either blow it off or heads will roll.