Just bought a $250 granite vanity top

Old 04-11-17, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your link didn't work for me. It looks like this link is your new vanity:
Home Decorators Collection Brinkhill 48 in. Vanity Cabinet Only in Cream-BWSD4821-CR - The Home Depot

It looks nice. The drawer slides are full extension and it's adult height, which is better IMO.
I recommend you purchase a Posidrive screwdriver to adjust the hinges, a regular Philips doesn't hold.

Old 04-12-17, 09:40 AM
B
I've been doing some research on vanities online and reading the various reviews. Seems like there's ALWAYS a negative review on every counter that LOOKS good, but I'm coming to some conclusions.

For sub $500 for a 48 inch vanity (without top) you're gonna get particle board sides and stuff. A LOT of people complain about the quality of this material and even say that it's 'held together by staples' and 'breaks upon installing' and stuff.

What's funny also is that people think for $500 you're gonna get solid wood! Anyways, it's tough figuring out the quality online I guess. I realize that my vanity (pictured some threads below) is OLD, basic looking, etc, BUT it is strong being that it's plywood.

I still think I'd like to update to something more modern, even if the quality is not as good. I realize for better quality (solid wood) you have to spend over $1000 for just the vanity I would assume. Something I don't want to do.

Old 04-12-17, 09:53 AM
B
Maybe it would be better to cut down the cabinet I've got by an inch, put new doors on it, paint it, and add a new top and faucets ..... At least I'd have a sturdy plywood cabinet instead of a chintzy mdf one.

Old 04-12-17, 10:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
That would make more sense to me. I built our kitchen cabinets [no particle board or mdf] for less money than I could have bought the el cheapo's.

Old 04-12-17, 03:05 PM
Received 341 Votes on 307 Posts
Shop around. Building you own is great and all but no so sure it will be cheaper. Add in tools, material and time. And do you have the skill, experience and know-how.

The particle board stuff is not so bad. Once its in place it won't be moved and normal care will let it look good for a long time. Most fronts are ion fact real wood.

Old 04-12-17, 04:11 PM
For sub $500 for a 48 inch vanity (without top) you're gonna get particle board sides and stuff.
I think MDF is not so bad. I would like to have a bath vanity with Cherry, Mahogany or Walnut sides and bottom, but it's totally unnecessary.
1/2" MDF sides are more than strong enough and aren't exposed to water too much.

Here's a link to Hard Rock Maple Melamine and it's pretty much the standard for cabinet interiors unless you want to go with real Maple plywood.
https://www.cherokeewood.com/store/h...aple-melamine/

Of course you want the face frame, doors, drawer boxes and fronts to be solid wood.

Old 04-13-17, 04:29 AM
B
What about instead of cutting the 22 inch (depth) vanity down to 21, I just get a custom solid counter top? Would that be expensive?

Do they even make 'custom' width counter tops? I though that HD and Lowe's do.

I'm thinking maybe of just keeping the plywood cabinet, although it is old and painting it and adding new doors and knobs. Although it's plain jane and old, I kind of like that it's old, if anyone can understand that lol.

Old 04-13-17, 04:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
While I don't know if the big box stores do, you can buy custom tops, any material and most any size [including widths] Another thing you might consider would be making your own top out of tile. That is what I did in my kitchen. Didn't want formica and couldn't afford corian or stone.

Old 04-13-17, 08:27 AM
B
While I don't know if the big box stores do, you can buy custom tops, any material and most any size [including widths] Another thing you might consider would be making your own top out of tile. That is what I did in my kitchen. Didn't want formica and couldn't afford corian or stone.
Ok, I think I'm going to cut it down after I take it all apart. I'm going to buy myself a cheap RYOBI circular saw and I read on Bob Villa a 'carbide tip blade' is good for cutting plywood cleanly.

I think cutting an inch off will allow me to get it to 21 inches and then I can install those pre-made sink counter combos that you get for under $300, plus some new black faucets.

Old 04-28-17, 04:38 AM
B
A 'former professional kitchen installer' guy on another forum said

' the reveal on the countertop is not set in stone and when he installed he could go anywhere from 1/4 to 2 inches. He said that you could make it a 'flat edge with possibly an eased top edge'.

So do you guys think it would be a big deal to have the counter top more or less flush with the old vanity? It's in a small bathroom. Maybe I should get the vanity top, take off the old one first and try it and see what it looks like flush?

Remember my old custom bathroom vanity is 22 inches from back to front and of course I'm just thinking of getting the premade 'stone effects rustic gold vanity top 49 inches' form HD. It's only $229 with sink.

Old 10-19-17, 12:06 AM
B
Guys, I just got done installed the new faucet, painted vanity and installed new vanity top! Here it is so far: Still gotta do the silicone seals and get side splash and remove medicine cabinet, install new mirror etc

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: