Looking for a caulking tip-

Old 04-08-17, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for a caulking tip-

I have completed my tile installation on the tub surround. The tile and grout are bone colored while the tub is bright white. I have bone silicone caulk that almost matches the grout. I also have a standard white silicone caulk. Both are 100% silicone.

Which would be better to use where the tile meets the top of the tub in order to get a clean job?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-17, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Either will work although I'd be more inclined to use the caulk that matches the grout.

Old 04-08-17, 09:42 AM
I think I would use the bone colored, something like Bisque.

Around here (San Diego) there are tile suppliers that have many colors of both sanded and non-sanded caulk. I can usually find a very close match to the grout.

I'd also recommend cloth rags and denatured alcohol to clean off the excess caulk.

Old 04-08-17, 02:15 PM
Received 94 Votes on 85 Posts
Which would be better
Neither, we need to get everybody to quit using silicon caulk in bathroom showers.

It is horrible stuff, mold will eventually grow under it and then you will be asking how to fix.

Try one of the newer silicon based bathroom caulks with microban. Have been using it for years and it great!

Old 04-08-17, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If we get everyone to quit using silicone caulk, then you couldn't use your silicone based bathroom caulk with microban, could you? The key to using any product in a shower or other wet area is to have it completely dry before applying it, and letting it dry completely before running water over it. Mold has a tendency to grow behind caulks and it won't stop until you pull all the old out and dry it out again.

Old 04-09-17, 04:06 AM
Now that you have brought up the silicone and mold thing- I always thought to use 100% silicone, but reading all this makes me question that.

Which caulk should be used? Silicone, siliconized..... most all of them say something about mold free or mold resistant.

Old 04-09-17, 05:24 AM
Received 94 Votes on 85 Posts
It's bathroom "Siliconized latex".

Don't get me wrong, 100% Silicon has it;s place but not in a bathroom.

I've spent months, well many hours, scraping out clear silicone caulk with black mold behind it. Years later the replacement caulk is still looking good.

Just dont do it!

Old 04-09-17, 05:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The black mold behind the caulking is more of an indication that the tile and behind wasn't good and dry prior to applying the caulking. I've seen a lot of siliconized acrylic latex caulk that had mold.

Old 04-09-17, 07:11 AM
Got it. Makes sure tile, grout and tub are perfectly dry and apply siliconized bath and tub caulk.

Old 04-09-17, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be sure to give it plenty of time to dry! Taking a hair dryer and passing it across the joint will often bring out moisture that is trapped behind.

Old 04-09-17, 02:43 PM
So I am clear. You are using the hair dryer BEFORE applying the caulk and it will help bring out any moisture that may be in the joint. Correct?

Old 04-10-17, 03:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, if there is any moisture still in the wall a hair dryer or a heat gun will usually draw it out.