Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Redo new caulk around the shower pan. One side or entire thing?

Old 06-29-17, 06:34 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I had our master bath done just over a month. I just noticed yesterday that there is a fine crack in the middle of the caulk line on the back wall where the shower glass guys propped up the shower glass door when they were installing it. I think the contractor didn't put enough caulk there to allow the movement in the joint when the glass door was propped up against that wall.

So I've taken the caulk line out that had the crack. I probably know the answer to my question, but just in case... do I have to take out the entire caulk line around the shower pan or can I just do that one caulk line that was cracked?

If I need to do the entire caulk line around the bottom of the shower, should I go up a bit in the corners?Name:  caulkingisfun.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  17.7 KB

Thank you
Mel

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-17, 02:57 AM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
if everything is clean where the new meets the old caulk you should not need to do the entire pan

Old 06-30-17, 09:32 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, I went ahead and scraped out around the pan. It was acrylic caulk so I wanted to replace it all with silicone. I'm going to leave the vertical joints alone.

Old 07-01-17, 04:13 AM
Received 395 Votes on 369 Posts
It was acrylic caulk so I wanted to replace it all with silicone
The siliconized acrylic caulk with microban is best for showers. Cant tell you how many showers I have scraped out all that old nasty silicon that mold got behind.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 159
Size:  68.9 KB

Old 07-01-17, 04:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
The main thing is to make sure it's a caulk rated for bath rms as it will have extra mildewcide. One of the main reasons for moldy caulk is it being applied over gaps that aren't good and dry. You want to make sure there is no moisture behind the tile, not just on the surface.