Mosiac tile on uneven wall

Old 07-06-17, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mosiac tile on uneven wall

My wife wants a mosaic tile installed on the kitchen walls above the backsplash. However, our kitchen backsplash has some areas where it doesn’t sit flush against the wall (drywall issue?). The gap in the attached photo is ˝” wide.
Name:  Kitchen backsplash.jpg
Views: 1413
Size:  14.4 KB
The tiles she selected are 4mm thick with a mesh backing. Do I need to use leveling compound before the thinset adhesive? Would you use a border trim piece between the existing backsplash (top) and the tile? Just curious here. I want to know what I’m doing before tearing into another project!

Thanks in advance!
-Brad

Old 07-06-17, 06:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 783 Votes on 720 Posts
No, I would not try to level the wall. I would install the back splash tile and grout then caulk the gap where it meets your counter. Whether or not you choose a border detail around the back splash is your decision based on aesthetics.

Old 07-06-17, 07:31 AM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
You have 4mm tile plus mortar but some 12.7mm gaps meaning your going to see a gap between the new tile and the back splash.

Personally I'd be looking for a flat tile to lay across the top of the back splash, maybe something with a bull nose, that will cover the gap with the tile sitting on that.

Old 07-06-17, 07:05 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
You could use a pencil liner across the bottom to bridge the gap and then start your mosaic on top of that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: